Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

whoah

whoah

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello there

I recently loaded my Computer as normal and tried to connect to the internet, but it just keeps saying connecting then timed out. I am on broadbrand. I also recently got that message from Microsoft saying " You may be a victim of software counterfeiting " but I removed that with a tool.

Any idea why my browser wont load? I am using Firefox. An internet connection is there because I have checked.

Please Help

Cheers

Advertisements

brant_57

brant_57

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Your computer may not be able to connect to your ISP's server or the server is taking a long time to return data, this may be due to a firewall. It may also be due to spyware or a virus.

To try to solve the problem -

I do not recomend that you modify the registry, serious problems can occur when doing this.
The best thing to do would probaly be to call your ISP or though you can change the time-out limit setting for Internet Explorer in your registry. I can give you the steps to do this if you feel confident in doing so.

Cheers,

Brant

whoah

whoah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello mate

If you dont mind, that would be great. I am confused though, because my internet works in safemode but not when I load normal. I am using firefox, just in case that changes the help you give.

Looking forward to your reply

Cheers again

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I also recently got that message from Microsoft saying " You may be a victim of software counterfeiting "

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

A little concerned here about that message.. Sounds like you installed Microsft Genuine Advantage and it checked your system and determined you were NOT running a kosher XP install..

Where did you get you XP cd from??

Murray