Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible xp os error

• Please log in to reply

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi Randy,

Thanks for your input but I have Keith looking into this. And FYI, this is a brand new laptop. I hope I don't need a new hard drive just yet. (But thanks for the "warning".)

Advertisements

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, however I read back and found that nobody had suggested the chkdsk yet. Just something to try. It can't hurt. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you looked through the post which is linked in post one you would have, but thank you for suggesting it

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Keith,

I started up the laptop and it went to the screen with all the choices (is there a name for this screen??) so I picked "start windows normally". When I do that, it shows the stop error screen again. Unlike the last time, the first stop error screen I had was the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR.

The one I am looking at right now is the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and it is dumping physical memory again.

Heens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How well does the laptop run when you eventually get it to the desktop

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Once I get to the desktop, I can do anything I want to, meaning I have full use of the laptop. It may be me, but it seems to have a small delay when programs load now. It wasn't this noticeable. But if don't turn it off completely, it is good. I can even restart it and I didn't have any errors. Only when it is off for like 10 or 20 minutes.

Mahalo Keith!!

I will wait for your suggestions. Also, the technical information for the stop error...do you need to see those letters/numbers? (i.e. 0x0000000A)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Using Memtest

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I found this on the microsoft website.

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q314063

It refers to the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop message.

Make sure you scroll down the page to the section called "A Stop 0x0A error after Windows XP is already installed"

Ironic that it refers to Windows Repair huh. :whistling:

This is also from the microsoft site.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

This error indicates that Windows NT wasn't able to read a page of kernel data from the page file. Bad memory, a bad processor, incorrectly terminated SCSI devices, or a corrupt PAGEFILE.SYS file may cause this situation. The first step in correcting such an error is to recreate the PAGEFILE.SYS file and see if you can bring your system back online.

Seems like it goes along the line of a bad driver or HDD, IMHO.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi Randy,

Thanks again for your input, but you are starting to confuse me. I am expecting someone from G2G to be the only ones responding. Please allow Keith or the nice volunteers to post answers to my questions. Don't think I didn't google all of this already. I just want someone to guide me, without guessing. And I will follow whatever they suggest. So thank you again Randy, but kindly keep to your own thread. I can't stop you from reading any of this, but can you kindly stop replying please.

Thanks man.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Keith,

When I run this memtest, does the laptop have to be idle, or can I still use it? I am still trying to make a bootable CD as we speak. Just wanted to know if it will allow me to do work while it runs in the background (like how A/V programs work)

Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You won't be able to use the laptop, two reasons to run it overnight, you cannot use it and it runs while you are asleep

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Keith,

I understand about going to sleep.(lol)

I was downloading the zip file to my drive and noticed I have three folders called Windows. There is one that has all the files and is like 4.5 GB. The other two are spelled in lower case, in they both have one of the characters that spell windows in like a greek type font. I moved the cursor over it and one says it has a folder called system32 (it has zero bytes), while the other says it has two folders, one called ime, as well as system32, again with zero bytes.

I did not open them. I am assuming they need to be deleted.

Heens

Edited by HEENS, 12 July 2006 - 09:27 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click Start then Run, type msconfig then press enter

Click on the BOOT.INI tab

Click on Check All Boot Paths

If Windows finds a corrupt or additional install of XP, it will ask you if it's okay to delete the entry for the unused/older/corrupt version. Click Yes / OK and then reboot

RandyOhio

RandyOhio

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, fine I will be quiet and let the "Experts" handle it. However if they didn't want people to put thier own thoughts and suggestions in here, they would only allow "Staff" or the creator of the thread to post replies.

Not you, Kieth. You seem very intelligent and I was wondering if you could check out my post.

I was only trying to help.

Check my other post just to show you how intelligent some (but not all) the "Volunteer" staff are on here. Pay special attention to the part on the windows boot log. Some people just don't take the time to research things completely. They were telling me that I had corrupted drivers. After a little research I found out that this might not be the case.

http://www.geekstogo...s...=121547&hl=

Be careful and take things anywhere on the internet. Especially in free techsupport forums with a grain of salt.

Good luck and goodbye.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi Keith,

I installed it and it has been running forabout 11.5 hours. It has passed 22 times with no errors. Should I run it for a couple days as per the link you sent me with info on this memtest? (I haven't stopped the test, and I am using my backup laptop for now).

Hope you are having a great day.

Heens