Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible xp os error

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That will work just fine. I'll be using the WinAudit information to see how the software and hardware are playing together...

Advertisements

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi again,

i am back on my old laptop...the HP does not want to boot up. i have had a few stop errors, including two bios, 3 irql, and 1 kernel data.

one was also a small box that had "parser message", and i think it read "%error at line 631"

and the technical numbers are different for the IRQL error...i also wrote down the numbers for the bios error as well.

and what is happening now is i can get into safe mode, i can type in prefetch, but when i hit enter, i get the IRQL message and that is it. i have to start all over and it does it again when i hit enter.

will wait for you to say something.

UPDATE: i got it to finally get past deleting the files and is now in disc clean up. i guess this is posted just FYI.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
okay, rebooted after the disc clean ran, and i got a new error, so i figured time to type this one to you

BAD_POOL_HEADER

tech info:

STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE2145458, 0xE21454B8, 0x0C0CA071)

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
whew!!!

i finally got it booted without any more errors, and i sent the winaudit report to you. i will leave this laptop on (if that is okay with you) and i will let you review the winaudit log. (hope you got it ok)

i will be in and out of the house today, but will log on at work and periodically check any messages. thanks for your help and chat with you next time.

ALOHA!!!

heens

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Refer to post #100 and retick the box to automatically restart.

In looking at the WinAudit report, I'm seeing some conflicting information. All our earlier checks showed the machine as being ACPI compliant...and according to everything I see, it is. Then I found the following in the report under "Detailed Information" for the CPU...scratching my head a bit and doing more research before we address the issue...

ACPI - ACPI Supported | No

Nowhere else in the report does it say anything else about the ACPI not being supported.

The BIOS version on the machine can be updated and may help. Also, there is an update avilable for the processor driver. They are available HERE. Download both of the updates, read the instructions, but hold off installing them until I can research ths ACPI issue a bit more.

BIOS download = WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS - Windows-Based

Processor = AMD Processor Update for Microsoft Windows XP (Under Operating System)

I also noticed the APM is disabled in the BIOS, but we'll revisit that after we get the BIOS flashed.

I'll be back to you with some more instructions a little later.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ok..i have the restart box ticked, rebooted it, and downloaded the two updates (did not install yet)

will wait for further instructions...thanks man...

Edited by HEENS, 20 July 2006 - 06:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download these updates, too.

System Default Settings

Essential System Update

Once you have read and understand the instructions for each download, install them starting with the BIOS update, then CPU driver, then the other two in any order. Disconnect from the internet and disable your Anti-Virus application while you are doing this.

Do you have an HP scanner attached to this machine? If you do, or have an "All in one" printer/scanner connected, disconnect that, as well.

Let me know how this goes.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
another FYI,
it may not mean nothing, but the download speed is a crawl (for the last 4 you told me to do). the speeds average 5.73 KB/sec, so the 33.1MB essential system update will take over 90 minutes. i am pretty sure it was faster before. is that something too? or are any of these updates/downloads will correct this problem?

thanks...

edited: after installing i think it was the second or third download, upon the reboot, i had one of those small boxes pop up and say "the system has recovered from a serious error. a log of this error has been created. (then it gave me the opportunity to send to microsoft or don't send). since i was NOT connected to the internet per your post, i opened it up first to record the error signature and a bunch of numbers. then i clicked don't send, and it did it two more times. i wrote the error signatures for all three and had no problems with the downloads or reboots. i will write them down if you want me to. i will not turn it off until you say so.

Edited by HEENS, 21 July 2006 - 03:16 AM.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi again wannabe1,

i need to travel to the other side of the island today. i am going to turn the unit off (about 10:20am hawaii time) and i will be back around midnight.

since it gives the errors when it off for a small time, i hope you agree

have a good day.....

heens

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi wannabe1,

well, i started it up after 12 or so hours. i hate to say it but it took 14 trys to boot up. what was different aboust these start errors were the errors themselves. it was completely different. i guess you might want to know how things happened so please bear with my explanation.

1. first pushed power button, started to load normally, then it went to the advanced start up screen. i picked start windows normally. it changed back to the advanced start up screen by itself.
2. i decided to pick last known configurations, it went back to the advanced start up screen by itself.
3. i picked safe mode, it loaded straight to the user log on screen (admin or my log on, i didn't do either) i just let it stabilize to see if it would change screens...it did not.
4. i rebooted from safe mode..got first box style error, which said "winlogon.exe" Entry Point not Found. The procedure entry point CryptReleaseContext counld not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll. I press the box to close it (i can't remember if it said enter, or okay, or close)
5. i get another same style box immediatley after it close the winlogon.exe, only to get one called lsass.exe, with all the same language about the CryptReleaseContext, so I close it
6. i get another box immediatley, saying services.exe, with the same language
7. after closing that box, there are no more boxes, and the screen goes completely black, with the pointer in the middle of the screen, not flashing and stationary. i wait a full minute and nothing happens
8. i hold the power button down, and re-press it to start, and it starts to boot up, passes the microsoft screen, then it flashes a quick stop error screen and i see the PAGE_FAULT_IN _NONPAGED_AREA and before i know it, it reboots on it's own
9. goes through the similar process like in #8, but the error screen is too fast, and it auto reboots
10. it finally gets past the welcome screen, shows a small box that there was a windows registry error, but recovery was succesfull
11. but then a box pops up and says the system has recovered froma serious errorand needs to shut down. before i close it so it can reboot, i open the tech info to get the error signature and it says BCCode 10000007f BCP1 0000000D, BCP2 00000000, BCP3 00000000, BCP4 00000000 OSVer 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 256_1. I also sent the error to Microsoft.
12. SO it reboots, and FINALLY it works. It has been on ever since. I really didn't take long, more writing info for you in case in comes in handy. I didn't have to do the prefetch stuff to get this thing to work.

I hope this helps. Thanks and I'll wait to see if you want more info or logs.

Heens

Advertisements

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
i have noticed something different over the past couple of days. when browsing the web, the system crashes and reboots. the error message prior to reboot is the all familiar IRQL one. once it is finished rebooting, a small box from Microsoft Windows says "The system has recovered from a serious error." So I send an eror report to Microsoft, which in turn after sending the report, redirects me to a Microsoft web page about the error I have just experienced...and it deals with RAM.

I have tried to write all of thiswhile using the HP laptop, but I get half way in this post and the IRQL stop error resets the entire thing. I did it a few times, and it always resets after the IRQL error. So I am using my standby laptop to write this.

I hope this helps you diagnois the problem(s). It never reset while being used before. I am going to send this post, then log on with the HP and put the link of the page it redirects me too, in case you want to see it. I did not do anything that the page says, which is to run a diagnostic tool. I wanted your opinion first.

Thanks....

here is the link

http://oca.microsoft...?...0c2&SID=603

Edited by HEENS, 26 July 2006 - 12:09 AM.

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
okay, now it is really getting unstable. it does crash quite frequently and just does the following: (IRQL error, followed by auto reboot, which in turn gives a small box saying windows encountered a problem, which sends me to a MS page about possible RAM probs)

AND KEITH, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, when you first told me to run memtest (back in post #22), i ran it for 11 hours and found no errors. well, since it was acting funny, i thought to run memtest since wannabe1 might be tied up. after the 2nd pass of the memtest, it turned the bottom of the screen red, with test #2 finding 129 errors. it also gives letters and numbers of failing adrresses.

is that what you were looking for back then? so far, it is on test number 8, and it still only shows 129 errors.
should i restart it again to see if it will fail? or did i perform the test without clearing something out and that is why i am seeing the errors?

thanks man....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How many memory sticks are there?

Try to leave just one to run memtest, if there is only one, move it to another slot, then run memtest

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
there is another slot, so i swapped positions. i hope i didn't need to start it up and run it first ( i started straight from the disc to run memtest)

no sooner i put it in, it turned all red again and it was riddled with errors----13312 of them to be exact after three tests. it is on test #4 as i type

will wait for reply

thanks keith for your post :whistling:

ps. i forgot to say there is 1 memory stick

Edited by HEENS, 26 July 2006 - 12:37 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow a compatible memory stick

Can you take the memory stick to a shop for them to test it, try to get it on the basis that if they can show you the stick is faulty you will buy a replacement from them, rather than just paying to get it tested

Look for a shop with competetive pricing

If this laptop is under warranty, hand it back to the supplier