Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Freeware Defragger?

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi,

Is there a freeware defragger that's a lot better than Windows defragger, one that I don't have to be connected to the internet to use it? I did a search here and O&O was recommended but it has to be purchased.

Thanks in advance . . . Denise

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I don't think there is a freeware one, but just type defragmenter into google and see what it finds. You'll get a lot of hits no doubt and you'll just have to trawl through them to see what it is.

EDIT: I'm wrong apparently! Just found this:

http://www.softpedia...ragmenter.shtml.

Edited by pip22, 13 July 2006 - 05:06 AM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi, thanks for the link. After a lot of searching, I also found Diskeeper Lite, which was freeware, and it does a good job and it's fast.

http://www.freedownl...eeper_Lite.html

Denise

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Windows defrager is based on the diskeeper of the time so it usually a safe bet to go with diskeeper however according to that its based on diskeeper 7 the same thing windows is so it seems its just a slightly cut down or optimised version of the standard windows defragger. If you want the best i would reccomend diskeeper 10 does a great job with my drives in all my computers.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
The problem with Diskeeper 10 is the same problem with all of the defraggers on the net . . . they cost money. I'm on a tight budget but I want to keep my pc's performance at optimum. DirMS is a good defragger but it requires the pc to be connected to the internet, which is the reason I stopped using it after I discovered it.

Denise

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
very wise, Denise. Glad you found an alternative that suits you :whistling: