Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 computer

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Attached File  new_98.doc   44KB   34 downloadsI have an old win XP computer that I had intended to turn into a 98 since I have a new Dell.

My tech claims that in order to do so would take replacing some parts for the old PC to turn it into a 98 might cost more than buying a refurbished PC. Attached is his recommendation for a refurbished PC. Can I get someone's opinion about this matter since I am not technically in the know about such things.

I just want to be able to play some of the older disc games on the 98 that the Win XP Pro system will not handle.

Thank you so much for your opinions.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nondaj...

Have you tried installing or running the games on the XP machine using Compatability Mode? Most older games will run on XP using this feature.

wannabe1

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Oh yes have done much of that but some games will simply not run this way. Have begun to use a program called DosBox which will configure win XP but it does take some work and effort and even then I am not finding the games to run smoothly but that maybe because of me. So this is why I am considering the 98 .

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...How about installing Win98 on the old XP machine. If it will run XP, it should be able to run Win98 without a problem. What did your tech say you needed to make 98 run on that one?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
The problem seems to be that when the old WinXP was built the tech then did not really know what he was doing so that the motherboard is not right for the CPU plus the video card is too high powered to work right with a 98 configuration.

Thus buying or replacing what is not right in the WinXP and adjusting the video/audio to run with 98 would be more costly than getting a refurbished PC. And my tech now says there is some problem about even getting the parts needed for a 98 system re the motherboard, CPU etc. Seems the 98 is so out of date that some of the things needed to build such is hard to find.

Again I am trying to repeat what is told to me. I just do not know enough technically to make intelligent decisions here.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the old machine running at all?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
your old computer should run windows 98 fine. do you have a copy of windows 98? What is the old system? IF you could give us some details we can give you some more advice but to be honest it sounds like whoever is telling you to buy a refurbished system is just trying to sell you something...

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
No the old PC is not working and the problem so I am told seems to be in the CPU chip on the motherboard. Also am told if they put 98 on the old machine there will be problems between the motherboard and PCU and the OS sytem. Will try to get more info in just exactly what is on the machine.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's very curious...I would be very interested in finding out more about this issue. I've installed Win98 on some pretty "edgy" machines without any problems at all.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I am getting particulars from my tech to see if he really knows what he is talking about and will relay back when I get them.

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Seems on my old PC I had a Dragon motherboard and an AM Semprom CPU. Tech tells me there is a problem between this motherboard and CPU because when he tried to install Win 98 on it, there was a problem with the BIOS which his My Tech-diagnositc card claimed was on error on the CPU. And in his research to buy a new CPU/motherboard for 98 use would cost more or almost as much as the refurbished PC attached in my former post. My video card is a Nvidia GeForce and sound card is a Sound Blaster.. Is this enough info for you to give me more advice re a decision whether to pursue fixing up the old Win XP to turn it into a Win 98 or whether to purchase the refurbished PC which costs about $325.00 with a 6 mo. warranty.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have a friend who says he might be able to get me a CPU and a motherboard compatible if he knew the speed ofa CPU for 98 OS. Does anyone here know such speed for the CPU?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The only speed restrictions I am aware of for Win 98 is the minimum, which is whopping 66MHz. I would recommend using at least a 133MHz processor, though, and 64MB of RAM. To my knowlege, Win 98 will run fine on any speed above that.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Ah ha - thanks so much for your input - will add this to the pot and stir some more:)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure! :whistling: