Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 computer

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
A friend who has tried the tech I now have is of the same opinion that I am coming to and that is - this tech is honest and tries very hard but has his limitations when it comes to the finer 'ins and outs about problems' with PCs.

Thus I am uneasy about his ideas and suggestions re rebuilding my 98 system.

Is it approprite to ask of you to give me some names of
motherboards
cpu that work with them
video card
sound card
memory needs

which will be satisfactory for 98 OS and will handle all the older games?

This would give me a starting point from which to negotiate reviving my 98.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's start with the platform you now have gathering dust. You said it has a Dragon motherboard...you you know or can you get the model number for me?

Also, can you describe for me what the machine acts like when you try to start it? We may be able to use much of what you have and get it up and running by swapping out a few parts.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
The tech tells me he has it all in parts - so there is no getting it up and running unless I pay him to do so and then he said he could not put the 98 on it because problems between the motherboad and CPU and his diagnostic tool claimed there were problems in the Bios.

It just gets so technical that I get lost. Almost ready to have him return the machine with all the parts inside and let me try another route - maybe through you or another tech here in the valley. Here is his email to me re the problems. He is Hispanic so his English is not the best.:

Hi Donna:

About your question, few minutes ago I checked your PC parts but on the main board and video card doesn't appears any info telling me what kind of main-board or video card it is. The CPU is an AMD semprom. Maybe searching on Internet few chip numbers I can detect what kind of boards are, but the best way is going to the document you had show me time ago about your PC from a report you did with a software some friend gave to you...

If you remember, I was trying to format your PC and install 98, but I found problems with the PC and I remembered we were talking about the main board and CPU that it have problems. So, I un-assembly all your PC and I put other provisional board and CPU to prove the problem and after this, we start conversations about cost and you told me to leave the PC as it, so I never re-assembly your PC... In other words, now, your PC is un-assembled and all parts inside of the case...

In conclusion, the reason why is not good your PC for 98, is just because I found problems on CPU and main-board and it has to be replace. I couldn't install 98 from scratch because was a problem with the BIOS and My tech-diagnostic card suggested an error on CPU.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's a pretty flakey reply... :whistling:

If I were you, I'd go get the parts from him and take them home. Each of your parts will have a part number on them...with these numbers it's possible to get the specs from the manufacturer, probably from their respective websites.

BIOS can be upgraded so I'm not sure just what he's getting at there. Did the machine ever run?

Sempron processors use the same basic archetecture as the Athlons do and will run on just about any motherboard designed to use this framework (I use AMD processors almost exclusively)...

Given the part numbers from the hardware you have, I'd be willing to bet we could find where the problem is and get it running. Alternatively, I can put together a list of components you could purchase and assemble that will run Win98..I just hate to see good parts go to waste.

This is just my opinion, but I think your tech knows there is a problem, but hasn't a clue as to what it is. :blink:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
You know I agree completely. Would feel a lot better getting the machine back with all its parts and going another direction. When I have accomplished this will return here and look for you. Is that all right?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Absolutely! :whistling:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
OK will be talking with tech next week and tell him I just want the machine back and am going in another direction. When I get the PC will let you know. And thanks for all your support

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure...

You can PM me when you're ready. :whistling:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Will most certainly do so and thanks again.