Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Num Lock key doesn't work on any keyboard

• Please log in to reply

ejluckey

ejluckey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After getting XP installed on a computer that had been using ME, a keyboard error ekpt coming up everytime I rebooted. The keyboard works fine except for the num lock key. The Num Lock light comes on but the numeric keypad doesn't work. I went to the Microsoft site and tried the 2 things they suggested. My registry was already set up the way they wanted. I also added a script to my start up folder, but that didn't work either. I have tried 3 keyboards on this computer, that work on the other computers, and none work the numeric keypad. PLEASE HELP. I do alot in excel and using the numbers along the top of the keyboard are slow and tedious.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Scroll down to keyboard, right click, choose uninstall, say yes, reboot....windows will reinstall keyboard on reboot

ejluckey

ejluckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That worked. Thanks so much.

ejluckey

ejluckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I thought it worked. After reinstalling the driver and rebooting, it worked for awhile. I decided to reboot again and again for awhile it worked. The Microsoft knowledge base suggested that I put a numlock script on in the startup folder. I rebooted but didn't work. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the keyboard driver again, but still didn't work. :whistling: