Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Registry Checker Tool fails

• Please log in to reply

mirado.kelly

mirado.kelly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently uncovered a command for windows 98 that could possibly restore a corupted registry. The command is scanreg /restore

The problem is it does not seem to work, or I am doing something wrong. I deleted the entire HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion hive

I restart and issue the command scanreg /restore

It lists 6 backups, None of them work, I get the message "System Restore Operation Failed"

Microsoft KB tells me that scanreg first trys to backup your current registry, and has no more room due to MaxBackupCopies setting inside scanreg.ini

Ok so I either increase the value of MaxBackupCopies or I rename/delete old backups, I try both these methods, but I continue to recieve the discribed error.

Currently scanreg lists only 3 registry backups, and MaxBackupCopies=7

What am I doing worng?

I will say that prior to deleteing the hive, I did a scanregw /backup
Could this have been my downfall?

Advertisements

mirado.kelly

mirado.kelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I forgot to mention the system specks:

Windows 98 SE
64MB RAM (SIMM)
Pentium MMX 200MHz

Ok I just got the system up and running, not via regscan like I hoped, but actualy windows loaded and broght up the "Windows 98 Setup Wizard" which rebuilt that portion of the registry

I still would like to know why regscan failed, but I figure I could probably have extracted the registry from the cab files rb00x.cab, but oh well.

Not sure what regscan is good for if it cant recover from a backup.

Edited by mirado.kelly, 12 July 2006 - 04:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello mirado.kelly...

The scanreg /restore works very well providing it has a complete current registry...even a corrupt one...to begin with. Your downfall was deleting the current Local Machine hive.

wannabe1

mirado.kelly

mirado.kelly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Ok so what your saying is the registy must be complete and not missing any portions?

If this is so, how would one go abouts corupting a registry, how do I know what keys/hives are important to the operation of Windows so that I can change them?