Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't boot Win 2k in safe mode? have virus problems!

• Please log in to reply

007jag

007jag

• Pip
  • 7 posts
OK I've been hit with multiple viruses, spyware etc. I've been trying to remove with ad-aware, norton, macafee & previx1. Also have used trendMicro online scan and one other recomemded from here ( dont' remember the name). All have given some similar and different results, but essentially now the norton, ad-aware & Macafee seem to show a clean system? I have run Trend Housecall at least 4 times with clean and dirty results - most recent today the 12th and resulted in "TSPY-ZLOB" - " ADWARE---SECURITYTOOLBAR" ---- 1 SUSPICIOUS COOKIE.
Tried the clean option and got msg clean failed.
I started at the start here page, read the instructions, then tried multple times to boot into Safe Mode - so I could follow the instructions. But I can't seem to get my PC to boot into Safe mode???
Also it seems some instructions say to remove any other "security programs" 1st ie: Norton, Macafee etc.
I have not done that as I ran into the problem of not being able to boot into safe mode.
My system has started behaving better - but has poped up with some error msg's (no I didn't write them down) :whistling:
I'm not sure what to do now and considering doing what some call a "Flat Line" and reinstall of everything I think that's a format of the hard drive and starting all over.
I have to go out of town till next Monday and probably wont be able to get back here until then, I may be able to use a remote check of my email. Which is e-mail removed
If you can help me -- Fantastic!!!!! - I'm open and don't realy want to do this flat-line deal.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Jack

Never post your e-mail in an open forum...you may get more correspondence than you want....wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 July 2006 - 01:05 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello 007jag...

Go ahead and post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Forum for the experts to look at. It may be malware preventing you from booting to safe mode.

wannabe1

007jag

007jag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you wannabe1 - I've done ( I hope correctly) what you've asked and posted as 007jag Hijack log1.
Should I look for additional help there?
Thanks again,
Jack

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I added a bit of a description to the title. It may be a while before you get a reply...that's a really busy place, but someone will be along to help. Don't reply to your topic there...they look for topics with 0 replies.

wannabe1

007jag

007jag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok Thanks again - I added a bit to the title as well, I'll be checking for any replies and thanks again for your help,
Jack