Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

INTERNET STOPS WORKING AT TIMES

• Please log in to reply

kkrind72

kkrind72

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ive been having trouble with my modem and now just my modem
not all the time but every once a while the internet blinker on my modem stops blinking and goes off and my internet connection is cut off
if i wait about 2-5 minutes it comes back on but it gets very annoying
can anyone tell me what might be wrong???

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
More information given:

I also have an XP Windows computer, and I have a DSL WESTELL Modem Model 6100. My problem is that after my computer is turned on, about an hour after usage on internet, my internet light blinker stops blinking and there's no connection. Once I wait about 2-4 minutes, the light starts blinking again and my internet starts working, but after it's stopped working once, the connection of my internet keeps not working every 5-10 minutes and then repeats everything all over again until I turn my computer or restart my computer again.

Hi kkrind72,

Are there any other computers in your household? If so, do they experience the same issue? The activity light on your modem could stop blinking if your computer stops sending requests; the obvious steps to take are to determine if it's an issue with your computer, adapter or modem -- connecting a different computer would help to isolate this.

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within. You should be looking for errors that occur around the time of the disconnect, however please post all recent errors.

The next time you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Also, are you connecting to the modem through a router, or is it a direct link to the modem? Wireless or wired?

kkrind72

kkrind72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I appreciate this very much. :blink:
Errors-
1. Service Control Manager - The Virtual Modem Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

2. DCOM- The server {56034028-4BBB-49EC-A7EE-3311BB8D3B2F} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

3. atapi - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

(The Service Control Manager error was listed there more than anything else.)

Warnings-

1. Tcpip- TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

2. W32Time - The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.
(The Tcpip warning was listed there more than anything else.)

Again I appreciate your help. Thank You :whistling:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

1. Tcpip- TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

Please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 100). Reboot your computer and test your connection. *NOTE: Ignore any prompts from Windows to insert your Windows XP CD to repair files; this is normal, and is simply letting you know that you have modified a Systems file -- there is no System instability.

Also, the next time you lose your connection, please try releasing / renewing your IP as detailed above, and let me know what happens.

kkrind72

kkrind72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The ipconfig/release and renew works, but to tell you the truth I play computer online games and it happens alot while I am playing a game. I checked the time of the error msgs and warnings and I downloaded the patcher but didn't seem to have any effect.
I checked the time and the nearest one was Service Control Manager was the error that came during the time of the disconnections.
Service Control Manager Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Virtual Modem Service service to connect.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
If you know anything to many resolve this error please help me.
Thank You :whistling: