Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't screw my heatsink onto my motherboard

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have just bought an Asus P5P800-VM to build a new PC for my brother. I am using a Pentium 4 3.8GHz CPU with a separate Coolermaster heatsink and fan (which was pretty expensive).

I can't screw the heatsink onto the motherboard because there are no screw threads! Just holes in the board!

The manual says:

"Your Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 heatsink and fan assembly comes in a "push-pin" design and requires no tools to install. If you purchased a separate CPU heatsink and fan assembly, make sure that you have properly applied thermal interface material to the CPU heatsink or CPU before you install the heatsink and fan assembly"

My heatsink and fan assembly DOES NOT come in a "push-pin" design, it has 4 screws which screw into the motherboard, just like every other heatsink I have ever seen. But there are just 4 holes in the plastic, nowhere to screw the heatsink in. There is no backplate provided, no nuts, or any other parts which could help me fit the heatsink. The manual has no further information on installing it.

I have never seen a "push-pin" heatsink, or a motherboard with no screw threads before, is this a common set-up? Also, there is nothing on the Asus website, or the website where I bought it from, or on the box, which says that you need a "push-pin" heatsink.

So, as things stand, I have all the components I need, but I have fallen at practically the first hurdle, and I can't build my PC.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Tom

Edited by tomdrayson, 12 July 2006 - 03:11 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is the stock heatsink and fan for the LGA775 processor. Does yours look like it?

http://www.directron...l775cooler.html

If it does NOT then its not a stock intel heatsink/fan. You should have got a backer plate with the heatsink with a aftermarket heatsink.

http://www.ap0calyps...power/nph_6.jpg

If nothing else you can make one from a piece of teflon or thick plastic you can buy at at a crafts store. Just make sure it is not so thick to bend the motherboard away from the backing plate. Probably the easist way is to buy the stock cooler. It doesn't do a bad job of cooling the cpu.

SRX660

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
The CPU and HSF were part of a pre-built system bought from a PC retailer, and the heatsink that came with the system is a Coolermaster with screws, not pushpins - so no, it is not like the one on that page.

The CPU and HSF in the original system have since been upgraded, and the new HSF (another Coolermaster) did not come with a backplate, so I left the original one on the motherboard.

Now I have this new Asus motherboard to use my replaced parts with, but no spare backplate, and no way to attach my HSF.

Edited by tomdrayson, 12 July 2006 - 03:54 PM.