Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Finding the IP address of apple Laserwriter

• Please log in to reply

exitfromreality

exitfromreality

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
At work we have an old Apple Laserwriter 12/640 that is attached as a network printer. It works great and we dont want to get rid of it, except that the PC we had to recently add to the network doesnt find it on the network. Ive found out that the printer configuration utility for Mac that would allow us to assign it an IP and configure it for TCP/IP printing only runs on OS9 and all our machines are OSX ad dont have classic installed. Is there any way to access the printer and configure it so it can be used with the PC (I just need an ip address to do this) without digging out an old OS9 mac? Ive used Angry IP scanner on the PC to see if I can locate the printer on the network, but it seems to not show up within the regular range of IP addresses on our network, so short of scanning every IP from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 I dont know how to go about doing this.

any help would be much appreaciated
-Colin

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try printing a test page from the printer (i'm not sure about apple stuff but microsoft compatable printers print out their ip on the test page) or if you can locate the manual for the printer...it may be in there...or if you can print out a configuration page (some printers will have a way to print something like this from the printer itself)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Have you told OSX to share with windows via the preferences ?
If you know the network name for the printer then you can ping the name you don't need the IP address to ping.
Also some light reading for you only 404 pages
Manual
If you still need help let me know
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 14 July 2006 - 09:16 PM.