Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PHP - testing email?

• Please log in to reply

Susan528

Susan528

Visiting Staff

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have created static website for local non-profit organization using FrontPage 2003. I would like to redo the website using PHP, MySQL, Apache in order to be able to use more features in future for dynamic website.

Currently I am interested in being able to create email script similar perform what I did here to register. The organization allows people in community to teach various classes from anything to knitting to literature classes, birdwatching, identifying trees, using your computer, etc. We would like to have people be able to register email address on website so we could send them information about upcoming classes.

I have installed PHP, Apache, MySQL on my computer on the localhost. But it is my understanding that I would need email server to utilize this. I just want to test it before I would actually upload to productive website but I understand that I cannot without email server.

I have paid for web hosting but I really do not want to register a domain name to go with the site just to test. If I could upload applications to web site host, would I have to register a domain name just to test it. The domain name that I eventually using has the FP website. Do web hosts allow a IP address or someway to access it in browser just to test?

I appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks,
Susan

Advertisements

Chris Graham

Chris Graham

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You should be fine. Every webhost I've ever seen allows you to access your site like:

http://<ipaddress>/~accountusername/

Also in terms of sending out e-mails, you can use your own personal address as the reply/sender address.

Susan528

Susan528

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you very much for the information. :whistling: