Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Writer NOT Detected?!?!

• Please log in to reply

sososick

sososick

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Guys i can't believe this is happening. I bought my laptop (check my profile for specs) from Circuit City, and they said that it has a CD/DVD writer. So today i was trying (for the 1st time) to burn an audio CD using Windows Media Player, and basically, at the top it said "No CD/DVD writer detected." Then i tried again and it said "Interface not registered." So i thought that might be because of WMP or something, but then i tried Ahead Nero and nada. When it burns, at the beginning it asks where to save an image (.nsg or something) which is the first time i see it. Anyways, i clicked save and it started burning and when it was done it said "Successful," so i went to open the CD drive, and there was nothing there!!!

Please let me know how to make it work or just how to check if it's actually there!

PS: Yes i can play DVDs on my laptop.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to my computer..click on it and then use print screen or whatever capture program you prefer and post the pic back here

your spec's dont say what make/model you have...post those back here to

Edited by happyrck, 12 July 2006 - 07:58 PM.

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Do you mean right click my computer?

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Here are the System Properties.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you left click or dbl left click if thats the way you are settup the it will open..listing your drives..if you right click you will get a context menu with a bunch of options..one of the says open..if you click on that you will get to the same place as left clicking..will look something like this

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
LOL ok i'm not that dumb! I just misunderstood you, sorry.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might want to try this

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device

This article was previously published under Q316529
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 (http://support.micro...b/256986/EN-US/) Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to burn data to a compact disc recordable (CD-R) drive or compact disc rewritable (CD-RW) drive, you may not have the option to send data to the CD-ROM drive.

When you view the properties of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive, you may notice that the Recording tab is not displayed in the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, where drive_letter is the letter of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive.

Note To view the CD Drive (drive_letter:) Properties dialog box, click Start, click My Computer, right-click the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive that you want, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.

CAUSE
This issue can occur when the drive is misdetected as a non-recordable device.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, edit the Microsoft Windows registry to identify the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive as a recordable drive. To do this, follow these steps.WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Expand the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type backup of drives key, and then click Save.

Note You can restore this registry subkey by double-clicking the backup of drives key.reg file that you saved.
6. In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, click the Volume{GUID} folder under Drives, where GUID is a 32-character hexadecimal globally unique identifier.

Note If you have more than one CD-ROM drive in the computer, an additional Volume{GUID} folder is listed for each drive.
7. In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click Drive Type.
8. In the Value data box, type 1 or 2, depending on the drive type, and then click OK.

The drive type should be 1 if it is a CD-R and 2 if it is a CD-RW.
9. Quit Registry Editor.
10. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
11. Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
12. If the Recording tab is displayed, Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device.
13. Click Cancel.

Note If you have more than one CD-ROM drive, DVD-ROM drive, or CD-RW drive in the computer and the Recording tab is not displayed, an incorrect drive may have been configured as "recordable" in the Windows registry. To troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps:
a. Follow steps 1 through 9 to edit the Drive Type value of the Volume{GUID} folder whose value you previously changed.
b. In the Value data box, type 3, and then click OK.

The drive type value of 3 indicates that the drive is a standard CD-ROM and is not writable.
c. In the left pane of the Registry Editor window, click the next Volume{GUID} folder.
d. Follow steps 7 and 8 to change the Value data entry to 1 or 2, depending on the drive type.
e. Quit Registry Editor, and then follow steps 10 through 12 to confirm that the Recording tab is displayed in the properties dialog box of the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive.

MORE INFORMATION
This procedure may not work in all cases. This is only a workaround in a situation where the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is capable of functioning in Windows XP and for some reason has been misidentified. If the drive is not on the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL), the drive may not work with the built-in CD copying functionality, regardless of this registry setting.
Back to the top Back to the top
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional

sososick

sososick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Is there anything else less risky i can do?