Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Homepage reg changing/can't install IE7

• Please log in to reply

xfedupx

xfedupx

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey guys! I first posted in the malware forum but after taking a look at a few logs, they think it isn't a malware issue. Here's the story...

I first tried to install IE7 beta 3 and about a minute into the install, my spyware guard alert comes up and tells me that a program is trying to change the registry key. The keys that are changing are the default home page and default search page. It's saying it's trying to change it to this "go.microsoft.com/twlink/?linkid=54896"
I thought that was sketchy since it had a link id tag in it.

After that I ran adaware and saw I had registry vulnerabilities and thought they went hand in hand. I've gotten cleaned up and have tried to install about 10 more times and I get the same thing. Is this something I should be worried about or is this new homepage ok? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi xfedupx...

I just installed IE7 Beta 3 on my XP machine...the page is ok. You should, however, turn off the antivirus and spyware applications while you install. Disconnect from the internet while you are unprotected.

wannabe1

xfedupx

xfedupx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Great! thanks so much! Now that I know they are ok, I went and installed it! (had to do it as an administrator) but it got installed! Thanks!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :whistling: