Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

adminstrator rights

• Please log in to reply

Tamiami

Tamiami

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was attempting to get round the log on procedure. i was adminstrator, and I changed this to limited. I am the only user of this computer. Since then I have a problem with changing anything. including system restore. Help, please.

Little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, I've found!!

Advertisements

smirda

smirda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am in the same predicament. Hopefully some blessed soul will enlighten us, Smirda [/color]

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Did you change to built-in local administrator to limited?

This might help:
http://www.petri.co....or_password.htm

Another option might be to put your PC in a domain (by a domain admin) and let the domain admin create a new local admin account.

Edited by Caracas, 13 July 2006 - 03:34 AM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There is still a default 'administrator' account on your PC, it's just that Windows hides it in normal running mode (and you can't delete or demote this account either, Windows won't let you).

I think you simply need to boot Windows into safe mode by holding down F8 as soon as you start the PC until a startup menu appears. Then choose 'Safe Mode with networking'. You should then get the welcome screen showing the administrator account. Log on to that and go back into control panel and elevate your account back to 'computer administrator' level.
Now restart in normal mode.

Edited by pip22, 13 July 2006 - 04:21 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Another option might be to put your PC in a domain (by a domain admin) and let the domain admin create a new local admin account.

comment retracted do to tone...i appologize for my tone of voice....anyone just happen to have a domain network set up at their house for this guy to join?....comment retracted do to tone...i appologize for my tone of voice(i see your line of thinking here...but....remember that a home user usually has no idea what a domain is...nor has access to one)

Edited by dsenette, 14 July 2006 - 11:13 AM.

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

worst suggestion i've seen....anyone just happen to have a domain network set up at their house for this guy to join?....please think your posts through just a little more
(i see your line of thinking here...but....remember that a home user usually has no idea what a domain is...nor has access to one)

I have learned that, when trying to resolve issues, it's important to gather as much data as possible. Not only about the problem itself, but also about possible solutions.

Is my solution a possible soultion? ... Yes
Is my solution the best solution? ... I don't know. Further investigation will reveal that.

You never know what the background of the reporting person is and to what resources he/she has access to.

I find your post to be insulting towards me and towards the reporting person, who should never be underestimated. Even if your experience tells you that in most cases you are right.

Perhaps you need to think your posts through just a little more as well, especialy since you're a forum moderator.

Regards

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
comment retracted and i appologize for any offence taken...apparently got a little heated... but the heart of the idea still stands...the likelyhood of this poster (and most posters on this forum) to have access to (and administrative rights for) a domain style network isn't very likely...and generally would not be a very valid option here..

Tamiami

Tamiami

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a thank you to everyone for their replies. I have resolved the issue by taking the computer to the repair shop (FOC) as still under guarantee!
Nonetheless it caused me a sleepless night, and I am grateful for all your help.
I am a user who thinks she knows what to do, and when it comes down to it makes many errors in this kind of thing, so no insult taken by whomever thought I may not be experienced, I'm not, at least, not enough. :whistling: