Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question on behalf of a friend regarding windows 2000/me

• Please log in to reply

explosivo4120

explosivo4120

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im asking this question for a friend who, do to her computer problem, cant ask for help.
When she starts up the computer it begins to start up windows 2000, then it says that windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: winnt\system 32\ config\system eed
and then it says start up options for windows 2000 press f8, but when she does, nothing happens.
One day everything was fine. She didnt download anything. The next day, her computer wont start up.
The computer already had windows 2000 installed on it, and there was no disk. I Purchased her windows me, in hopes it would fix the problem. It wont do anything. Somebody else sent her windows xp, but that too does not help. Any help as to what she should do, would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I sent her windows me, because we were both under the impression that windows 2000 and windows me were basically the same thing. Are we wrong?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
As soon the computer start to boot up start tapping the F8 key(don't wait for the message)
you should then be given a list of options one being last known good configuration choose this one

p.s. I sent her windows me, because we were both under the impression that windows 2000 and windows me were basically the same thing. Are we wrong?

Sure are

Edited by peterm, 14 July 2006 - 02:55 AM.