Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Im having trouble reformatting

• Please log in to reply

alfredthehobo

alfredthehobo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Im having the Dr Watson problem like others, but I can't get it fixed, so I decided to just reformat. This is just a gaming computer, I have a mac for everything else and viruses are exactly why.

I built this computer and used this XP cd to boot from and install XP on this hard drive. I have a CD room as primary master, dvdrom as primary slave and HDD as secondary master. I set my boot order to CD first, I get the press any key prompt and the computer just starts up as normal, no partition screen or anything. Do I need to change around the cdrom and the HDD? Do I just need one CD rom hooked up?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have set it to CD ROM load the XP CD and reboot then keep tapping the enter key right after beep until it boots from the CD

alfredthehobo

alfredthehobo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, Im going to remember that, I decided not to reformat because I fixed the problem with Microsoft Anti-Spyware(go figure) and decided not to reformat. If this hitting the enter key doesn't work, would I need to make a boot disk or are all XP cds bootable. Also when my computer was messing up I could not get it into safe mode, I held the F8 key and tapped it across about 8 restarts, could it have been due to the problem with the computer or was I doing something wrong?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
XP CD's are bootable.

Boot the PC and right after the beep start tapping the F8 key and keep going until you get the options, have safe mode with networking if you need to go online.

Put the XP CD in, let it load then cancel it, click start then run then type sfc /scannow then press the enter key, this will check the system files, it just goes off if nothing is wrong. Click start then run then type chkdsk /f then press the enter key, you get a message saying it can only do this on next boot, press Y to confirm then reboot, takes a while but checks the disc for errors

Get the trial of tune up and run the disc clean up then registry clean up then go to optimize and run reg defrag, PC stops responding then needs a reboot. After this, you should have less chance of a problem.

TuneUp