Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get Norton Antivirus to open in 'Safe' Mode

• Please log in to reply

restless

restless

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all... new here.. i'm trying to use my Norton Antivirus to delete a "downloader" virus from my computer.. followed all the steps provided by symantec on the specific problem, except when i get into safe mode, Norton won't open, none of the applications work and after a couple seconds i get an error message as follows: "Symantec Integrator has encountered a problem and needs to close". Any solutions? TY in advance. :whistling:

Advertisements

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I'm not entirly sure, but I think that in order to start Norton, you'll need to start some services which are not started in safe mode.
But as I said, I'm not sure about that.

Should be in the Symantec documentation, though

restless

restless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
any other ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Norton doesn't work in Safe Mode.

Depending on what type of virus it is, Symantec may have a separate downloadable file that cleans up the virus, if the main program hasn't find it already.

restless

restless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
(Neil Jones, hopefully you find this cause either your inbox is full or your not accepting messages, anyone else is welcome to look as well :whistling: )

you seem to def. know your stuff so i was wondering if you'd have any advice as to how to get rid of this 'downloader' virus off my computer, it says its specifically in my system32 folder "egai32.dll" but it won't delete it using Norton regularly and i cant manually delete it because everytime i try to it says,"Cannot delete: It is being used by another person or persons, Close any programs that might be using this file and try again." Any thoughts would def. be appreciated.

restless

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get wholockme....you will be able to stop any process using it and kill it..

f you're having problems deleting a file, you might consider using WhoLockMe. The program has a handy Explorer extension, which shows which Windows process is locking the file. One click kills the process (a virus, Trojan, spyware, or in my case, a dialog box enhancer), after which you can delete the tenacious hanger-on.

http://www.pcworld.c...id,25368,00.asp

Edited by happyrck, 13 July 2006 - 09:19 PM.

restless

restless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

get wholockme....you will be able to stop any process using it and kill it..

f you're having problems deleting a file, you might consider using WhoLockMe. The program has a handy Explorer extension, which shows which Windows process is locking the file. One click kills the process (a virus, Trojan, spyware, or in my case, a dialog box enhancer), after which you can delete the tenacious hanger-on.

http://www.pcworld.c...id,25368,00.asp

okay, downloaded it, followed all the instructions, when i click on the .exe file, all i get is a message that goes:

No file name specifed

Usage: "WhoLockMe [-m] [-f] filename"

-m : Display the DialogBox at the mouse position
-f : Don't test if file exists

In the mean time, i tried a program called "Suredelete" and it couldn't get rid of it

Edited by restless, 13 July 2006 - 10:11 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi restless...

Try Move on Boot. It really sounds like you need to pay a visit to the Malware Forum. We can't give you malware advice in this forum... :whistling:

wannabe1

restless

restless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi restless...

Try Move on Boot. It really sounds like you need to pay a visit to the Malware Forum. We can't give you malware advice in this forum... :whistling:

wannabe1

okay, if this doesn't work, i will... sorry about not knowing which forum discussion goes where :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not a problem...you've kind of got a dual issue here. The malware team can get the stuff that the scanners can't touch...that's the way to go if you suspect an infection. :whistling:

restless

restless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Not a problem...you've kind of got a dual issue here. The malware team can get the stuff that the scanners can't touch...that's the way to go if you suspect an infection. :whistling:

well the move on boot seemed to work... thanks for all the help everyone

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Get's em everytime... :whistling:

Seriously consider the malware suggestion, though...sounds like you need it.

wannabe1

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
his may work directly

http://files5.majorg...dmin/symnrt.exe

Not sure what you were trying to post here, rushin1nd, but it was huge...I copied it to notepad and attached it.

wannabe1

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 14 July 2006 - 12:28 AM.