Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Caught in a loop

• Please log in to reply

DSteckler

DSteckler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Using XP Home. I started the computer and was asked to log in (which normally isn't required). I clicked on the user name and got the "loading your personal settings" message. It then immedidately gives me a "Logging off" message.

I rebooted into safe mode and created a new user account, then deleted the old user account. The new account has Administrator privileges. I rebooted again and am still caught in the same loop.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Logon in safe mode and check event viewer.

Start > Run > eventvwr.exe

Can you see errors there (around the time when you logged on in non-safe mode)?

DSteckler

DSteckler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
This is an application error record; a security audit record; and a system error record.

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
can you post them here?
You'll have to expand the records on the left pane and check for errors on the right pane

Edited by Caracas, 13 July 2006 - 08:00 AM.

DSteckler

DSteckler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No, I can't. It's on the computer I can't get to run.

The errors under Application are Source: VSS, Source: ccEvtMgr, and Source: EventSystem.

The errors under System are Source: DCOM, Source: Service Control Manager, Source: Browser, Source: NetBT, Source: Browser, Source: W32Time, and Source Dhcp.

DSteckler

DSteckler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just found out from a tech about the Sober LSASS virus . Evidently, it does exactly what's happened to my computer. I'm running Ad-Aware and will next run my anti-virus software.