Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor 80GB Hard Drive reading as only 14GB

• Please log in to reply

StaticRed

StaticRed

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
hi got my computer working at last, ok i couldnt find my windows xp cd so i had to use my windows 98SE cd to install will update it to xp when i find the [bleep] cd, any how my maxtor 80gb hard drive is showing as only 14gb, what is going on... please help as this is driving me crazy,

thanks in advance

Advertisements

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Is this a new drive, or a drive that may have NTFS partitions still on it?
Does your Bios reflect the correct size?

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
hi it was a new drive and i had windows xp on it i got a new mother board so had to formatt the drive and install windows 98, i think it was always fat32 and in the bios it is correct it says 80gb, what can i do to fix this

Edited by StaticRed, 13 July 2006 - 01:23 PM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
can any one help, i am sitting lookign at the computer now and want to fix this problem now, please if u can help please please help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is nothing to fix.

This is a limitation of the utilities on the Windows 98 CD. FDisk only supports hard drives up to 64Gb in size, so anything bigger than that gets wrapped round from zero.

So therefore what has happened is FDisk has seen your 80Gb HDD, therefore 78Gb (formatted capacity) - 64 = 14Gb.

This problem also affects the Format command, but both programs (and Win98) will see the drive as an 80Gb.

Edited by Neil Jones, 13 July 2006 - 05:00 PM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
so if i install xp pro, when i find my ,d a m n, cd, will it fix the problem or will i have to reformat the hard drive again using xp,

thanks for the help, that cleared alot up

Edited by StaticRed, 13 July 2006 - 05:18 PM.