Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virtual pc help

• Please log in to reply

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
hey guys,

well i just downloaded the microsoft vitual pc sp1, the free one, and am tryin to set it up. i went through the wizard and want to do windows xp and i setup a hard drive. however, when it tries to boot up i get this message and it won't go any further.

"reboot and select proper boot device"
or insert boot media in selected boot device"

what does that mean? does it mean i have to do install it with the xp cd?

thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
first you have to have xp installed on the system. then you install virual pc. using vpc you then take what ever os you want to install and start the install.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to install XP again into the Virtual PC. It doesn't come with any version of Windows as standard.

One can just use your own XP CD for that. Just reset the Virtual PC with your XP CD in your CD drive and off it should go. This can also be done with any other version of Windows. Remember activation and what not is still needed as well.

Edited by Neil Jones, 13 July 2006 - 05:08 PM.

ajcool123

ajcool123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
oh okay so i have to have the physical disk then. i mean i have it no worries there, but i thought it could detect on was on xp and just install it with that or somethin. dunno what i was thinkin heh