Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV-Out doesn't work anymore!?

• Please log in to reply

icedude

icedude

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have ASUS GeForce 7800GTX on a WINXP 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM computer.
And I have never had problems selecting TV-Out... until now..

This is how it used to work:
If the tv-cable wasn't connected I wouldn't be able to select the TV, and when I connected it I could select the TV.

This is now:
I can select the TV if I want to, even when I have unplugged the tv-cable!? And when I select it with the cable connected there's no image on the TV. The TV doesn't even react, and my computer seems to think there's a TV connected the whole time, but it doesn't send the signals the way its supposed to? :whistling:

So what could have caused this?

All that has happened between the last time it worked and now is that windows updated itself and I used TV-out on a different TV (which it worked on). And today nothing worked :/.

I also noticed this: http://quake.swe.net/~mrice/why.jpg
As seen, why do I have so many standardscreens? Could this be the problem?

This is what I've tried:
Uninstalling drivers, uninstalling all displays, reinstalling new gfx drivers and using system recovery to make the system like it was before the automatic windows update..

Its driving me mad :blink:

Thanks in advance

Edited by icedude, 13 July 2006 - 10:09 AM.

Advertisements

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
When you used it on a different TV, did you disconnect from your graphics card(with TV out) or TV tuner card or do you use a splitter for multiple TVs? Asking because possible the jack has become damaged or a peice of coax (mine is, instead of RCA) has gotten lodged in the cards connector jack, thus making it think there is a connection.

Edited by crunch, 13 July 2006 - 10:20 AM.

icedude

icedude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I never disconnected from the graphics card. Only from the TV to use it on another TV..

The strange thing is that when I disconnect from the graphics card I still can select a TV device (which isn't connected!)

I also noticed that when using S-Video out instead of Composite I get an image on the TV!! But in black and white, I've tried various PAL and NTSC without anything working :whistling:

this is weird, worked like a charm yesterday!!!

icedude

icedude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've got some tips from this forum: http://forum.digital...ead.php?t=54362

So I will check some of them out when stores open tomorrow, maybe others can get some help aswell!

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I'm not liking the looks of this. I just looked at your image you had added. Definantly too many TV outs there. Why it's sensing there are, especially after uninstalling and reinstalling your driver is odd. I have four with TV out, three of them are by TV tuner and one has TV out on the graphics card. I didn't get how yours feeds the TV. On my one with TV tuner out by coax, I have had to reinstall the driver twice in six months. Its only S-video is IN for video camera to put 8mm on disk. All others are RCA out to TV. I think connecting to another TV has caused a problem with your TV card. (possible static feedback) It would be nice to install the card and TV to another computer to be sure the problem follows the TV card. I think you should manually uninstall those TV devices listed in your manager shot and let it auto detect and install what it needs, but one TV output is all there should be. It's time for me to step back and let the staff help you. My next step would be to swap parts with my others but everyone doesn't have this rediculess pile in their livingroom. I'm sorry, but I will read my TV tuner and graphic card manuals and continue watching your post.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hey, you found quite a site there!!!
Very interesting. I just ohmed a S-video cable and two of the seven pins are dead. Maybe alot of them come that way. But you didn't mention changing cards like they had, although reinstalling the driver to updated may have altered the saturation to "0". :whistling:

icedude

icedude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok, I SOLVED it! :whistling:
I noticed my roomate has the same amount of standard monitors installed and he doesn't have the problem I had.

But I just solved it like this:
Graphics Card -> S-Video Out -> S-Video to RCA Adapter -> RCA Cable to TV

and it works with color :blink:
And I cannot use the RCA out anymore, I don't know why, but now it works anyway. I also seems many others had the same problem as me too..

Thanks for everything Crunch! :help:

icedude

icedude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
haha
Now it doesn't work anymroe.. I go on vacation for 4days and it stops working :blink:..

I get black and white out though.. Seems like I need to replace the card? :whistling:

I can honestly say I'm sick and tired of crap nvidia cards!