Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build, No Display...Need some Help!

• Please log in to reply

whealbis

whealbis

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Built my first computer and am getting no display from the monitor.
specs:
mobo: gigabyte LGA775, GA-81945PL-G, Intel 945PL Express Chipset
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 ghz
PSU: ATX 12v 500watt
Graphics card: EVGA Geforce 6800XT 265mb DDR PCI-E
Memory: Kingston 1gig 2400 pin ddrII
120 gig hd
Iomega dvd burner
XP home

I've tried about everything I've seen about this problem. I have a strong feeling it may be the graphics card. The mobo doesn't have onboard graphics so I cant try it that way, nor do I have another monitor to try with. The only things from my old computer(which is broken so can be of no help) are the cd-rom drive and the monitor. I'm really at my wits end and would prefer to not have to take it to a repair store if possible. The only problem really seems to be that monitor won't come out of stand-by at the start up. So anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

VirusAccumulator

VirusAccumulator

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I have seen this before Does your Video card have a extra power addapter? meaning it needs more then just the slot to power it, Also try removing the card and reseating it making sure you press hard into the slot "Do go getting all Arnold on it" Firm Press ... is this card the PCI-E version or AGP? NM I see thats its PCI, Cant you see the Bios Screen n ramm check text when it boots?

Edited by VirusAccumulator, 13 July 2006 - 01:56 PM.

whealbis

whealbis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's a PCI-E and it doesn't require any extra power. I've taken the whole thing apart many times, and the vid card is in there frimly. And yeah I can't see the BIOS screen, the monitor won't leave standby. Ireally do have a feeeling that the motherboard and cpu aren't the problem because they were tested before they were sent to me. Think I should test to see if it will work with a normal PCI card?

whealbis

whealbis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Does anyone else have any ideas? Is it possible the mobo just isn't reading the PCI-E slot? I'm in dire need of some advice here cause I'm going through WoW withdraws!!!

BeerRun

BeerRun

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If your monitor won't leave standby it just might be your monitor. At anytime at all do you see a No Signal window on your monitor?

Just make sure your monitor is on before you boot your computer. I you don't see a little window pop up saying No Signal on your monitor it's most likly bad.

Edited by BeerRun, 14 July 2006 - 03:24 PM.

whealbis

whealbis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes..... my monitor is plugged in and on............it says no signal before I connect it to the vid card, then it goes to stand-by and stays that way when the computer is turned on. Another puzzling thing is that the hard-drive will not spin when plugged into the IDE port, but will when it is only plugged into the power supply. Maybe that will help pinpoint the problem?

Anyway, I'm frustrated to all [bleep]. I've tried it with two different motherboards. One turns on, but the monitor stays black, the other doesn't have the right instructions for the front panel cords, so I dont know the correct set up for the power switch, and other front panel plugs, which means I can't even turn it on. I can only try one kind of ram and vid card on the "working" Mobo, and the other one has more options, but wont even turn on.

Seriously any ideas?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

If you can get hold of a PCI video card, then try booting the system with it (remove the PCI-E card first obviously)

Other things to check are :

1) Disconnect the main ATX power connecter from the board, then place a jumper over the 2 pins of the clear cmos header (jumper nearest the battery - labelled CLR_CMOS). After 30 secs, remove the jumper cap completely or place so that it covers only one of the two pins.

2) remove & reseat the PCI-E card. Make sure the lever on the end of the slot locks into place

3) disconnect any drive cabling from the motherboard (leave the power connected to the rear of the drives though) & remove any cards except for video. Also disconnect any USB devices.

4) Make sure you have the system (case) speaker connected correctly so you can hear any beeps the system makes.

5) Reconnect the main ATX power connector & check you also have the 4 pin ATX12V power connector connected

Fire the system up again & let me know what happens & if you hear any beeps