Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this a good buy?

• Please log in to reply

JK27

JK27

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thinking of holding off on first build for a little while. Need a computer now, but I know that Conroe is coming out. Thought it may be better to wait to build until things with that settle down and we see how things go. I found this PC on sale, is it a good buy? If so, if not, could you say why? Thanks.

749.99 after rebate

http://www.circuitci...ication.do#tabs

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not great but its pretty reasonable.

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm not a big into gaming or anything, I play half-life every now and again. I do alot of movie watching, downloading, etc. With this pc be okay for that? Can this PC be upgraded do you know?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The gfx in it is pants so you will struggle with games but it should be upgradeable gfx card wise as its pci-e and its says there the limit on memory is 2gig which is low so the mobo probably isnt fantastic so cpu wise i wouldnt upgrade anyway its a reasonable speed as it is, itll do you if you are wanting something to last 6 months till all the new tech is out.

VirusAccumulator

VirusAccumulator

• Pip
  • 9 posts
FSb 800, hmm little weak altho most pentiums only 1000fsb where AMD is around 2000, I agree gaming, videos, video editing is probly gonna have overall poor performance....
The board with 2 gig max ramm seems to be a little outdated... I'd rather heard you say you bought a Emachine For that money LOL..

For 1000 you could build twice that Monster of a display.. IMHO 2 gig is least amount of ramm I would have for DVD's or streaming Video Edits, ddr400 and above , July 24th the conroe intels new chip comes out, july25th AMD to slash prices in half on lower end chips and 100's off higher end chips.. Wait and see only a few weeks away, and for the money you are spending you could end up with twice the monster...

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i agree. The more I think about it, the more I want to build my own. It's just hard to decide which parts to choose. I want to wait for the conroe to be released so the prices go down on processors, but I don't necessarily want a conroe. No one really knows yet if they'll be what they say they will. If you had to recommend parts that are out "now" what would you suggest? Keeping in mind i'll use it for college stuff, tons of movies, downloading, editing, some games like half-life etc. Any info that you could give me would be great. I got the money back from my Dell that died so I'm ready to start buying everything except MB and CPU, and pick those up in 2 weeks.

VirusAccumulator

VirusAccumulator

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok Im Not A FanBoy So Intel/AMD ATI/NVIDIA they all make great products, here is what i did when i started building my own NOTE: I am no Guru, Self taught ,and lots of reading..

I goto NEWEGG.COM I look at the ATX Cases Mother boards : ASUS Gigabyte, Abitz , and MSI to start with
look at the user/owner ratings, read the reviews create an account ,make wish list, make a few differant types of builds intel vs amd ,ATI vs NVIDIA and so on..
Come here read some of the CustomBuild posts, also toms hardware has excellant reviews and everyone here is helpfull.. remember your building something you want not what we want, also what is practical and affordable for your needs.. we will just advise you on your choices... plus after reading about the products and specs of certain systems you will get a nice education for future builds... Just my honest opinion... hope it helps out..

JK27

JK27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well with exception to the Conroe, which processor and motherboard is recommended from what is already out?