Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows installer pop-up message

• Please log in to reply

phildy

phildy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I would like to send my thanks ahead af time to anyone who might be able to help me. And I certainly need it! I moved some files that I thought would not interfere with the system from my C drive to my D drive. Since then, whenever I try any task, whether it is clicking on an icon or any program, I get a pop-up message box named Windows Installer. Inside the box it shows a message "preparing to install". I am able to cancel the operation, and after about a half minute, I can resume what I was doing. Something is definitely wrong. Can I correct this myself, or did I really mess things up moving files around?

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
try last known good configuration from startup.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Edited by emery, 13 July 2006 - 01:23 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any chance of being able to put those files back where they started at? or any chance of knowing what you moved?

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I tried restarting from last known configuration but it did not help. I can't remember everything that I moved, so trying to move everything back to the way it was, will not work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it doesn't mention what it's trying to install does it?

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No it does not. In fact, I am not quite sure what it is trying to, because it will run on endlessly if I allow it to do so.

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have now discovered a new problem. I tried to move some MS Office components, and now I can't even use them (word, outlook etc.). I get a message that a path can not be found. I still have the disk, will I have to re-install it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...you tried to move office components? like....word.exe? that deffinitely won't work...at all...you can't just move programs around (which is why your msi installer is comming up...it's trying to reinstall a program that it thinks is gone)...so...absolutely no idea what you moved...where you moved it from...and where you moved it to right?

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Everything that I moved was from C to D in order to free up space on C. Some, if not all office components and some other things that I cannot remember. Should I try moving things back, or will that just make it worse?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you COULD move the stuff back to where it was originally...you would probably fix these issues...

phildy

phildy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I moved the office components back but it did not help. Any suggestions? Should I un-install ms office and re-install it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could try it...but i have a feeling that it might not let you uninstall it