Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application Error

• Please log in to reply

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Sometimes, when I open a folder on my desktop (my movies folder) the explorer.exe crashes
explorer.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x000000000" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "read".
Then I have to options
Ok to terminate the program
Cancel to debug
I don't know why it does this. It is the first time it happens to me on regular bassis.

I did the sfc /scannow, but the windows is asking me to insert the Windows XP disk ( even with" unchecked" Hide protected operating system files). It is saying that some important dll files must be copied so the system can run properly. The problem is I don't have a Windows XP disk. Even if I ask peopl around, I will have it in three-five days. Meanwhile, is there something I can do? Because some programs that were running correctly yesterday do not run and the "The instruction at "different number" referenced memory at "different number". The memory could not be "read"." is just popping out.

I also niticed that this problem appeared after an error with svhost.exe. It couldn't load it once, it showed me a pop out message. I just rebooted the computer and evrything was fine until I niticed that applications crush and can't see the .avi files properties while brosing my folders.

Also sometimes there is an
drwtsn32.exe - Application Error
The exception unkwnown software exception (0xc0000409) occured in the application at location 0x59a7295d.

Beats me what is wrong and what all those gibberish means... Crustyoldbloke directed me here, you think you can help me?

Edited by Roman Pope, 13 July 2006 - 03:48 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Roman Pope!

Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and hit ENTER.
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.
Fenor

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
It worked perfectly! Thank you Fenor.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear it. :whistling:

Fenor

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Mplayerc.exe - application Error
The instruction at "0x000000000" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "read".
Then I have to options
Ok to terminate the program
Cancel to debug
The same prblem appeared, but now I click with the second button, then "open with" and I select Media Player Classic. This is the momment when the pop-out appears. Like you said it, XP really doesn't like to work with .avi files. It is the same situation when I choose Windows media player, winamp and also WinDVD freezes, but the VLC media player runs perfectly. It also happens when I try to open .avi files not from "open with", but directly from the program.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just make VLC the default player for the files. WMP cannot play those types of files and that is why you are getting the error. Just right-click one of the avi files and choose OPEN WITH and CHOOSE PROGRAM. Select VLC from the list and make sure the checkbox is checked for Always use the selected program to open this kind of file and click OK. Now the next time you double-click an avi file, it will automatically open up in VLC and you won't have to worry about the error you get with WMP and WMPC (WMP Classic). I would recommend you uninstall WMPC and any codec packs you have installed in that they are not needed and unecessary to have installed since VLC uses it's own codecs.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 15 July 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Yes, I understand that, but the whole magic is the .avi files were working and palying correctly in WinAmp, WinDVD and Media Player Classic (this one I would like to use evrytime), but not anymore. I was wondering what happened.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Best thing I can tell ya to do is to redo the sfc /scannow once you get a Windows XP cd from a friend/family member. Other then that, use VLC and you will learn to love it more then WMPC.

Fenor

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Ok, I'll write on in this topic as soon as I'll get the CD and I'll do "sfc /scannow". I love VLC, but sometimes it distorte the sound...

tlkbrokken

tlkbrokken

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wow, that fixed my problem! Thanks alot ^_^

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I did the "sfc /scannow", but It didn't help at all. Sometimes, when a game have .avi movies in it, I can't play until I delete the movies from the game directory. It is pretty inconviniant. Can there be done a magical trick to fix the problem?

Roman Pope

Roman Pope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hm... I don't know why evrything went just all wrong, but now it runs very well. I just installed ACE Mega Codecs Pack 6.03 - Professional Edition and now it is "repaired".