Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Vista Start

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Well i like vista so far, but a few things really bug me, for example when i start up vista. Some process in the background is accessing my Hard drive like crazy, I have disable the automatic defrag. But it still takes about 10 minutes for my disk to become idle.... This really bugs me, i went throught the event logger, and found that the Windows Performance Diagnostic is actually taking up a lot of resources and slowing my startup. So i gues my question is how can i turn performance diagnostic / monitoring off? and what can i do to speed up the startup process?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm guessing it's the index service. Vista makes extensive use of the index for it's search features. Give it some time to fully index your disk(s), and it should improve.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can turn indexing off, but it's better to leave it on in the long run

More importantly, it should also be noted that Vista is still a beta, and is not quite ready for prime time.

The consumer release version of beta will likely be two versions behind the one in the hand of beta testers by the time you read this. There was a marked improvement in 5456, the version after the consumer preview, and there is another one expected either today (7/14) or tomorrow that Microsoft promises will be much quicker....we'll see of course.