Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp operating error?

• Please log in to reply

howie99

howie99

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there im a new to this so if i dont get this right please forgive. I tried to get rid of NORTON 2005 from my system, after removel i now cannot work some of my system(.help,search,media player,system restore,) these are just the ones i know are not working,there could be others. at start up i get a message to say norton firewall is not working propley and need to send error msg. also on the internet my printer will not print selected pages.i have installed AVAST as my securaty but did not install till after i uninstalled NORTON.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start with clicking run it now in step 2

http://service1.syma...n...v=&osv_lvl=

howie99

howie99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply,i went to NORTON but when i click onto underlined "RUN IT NOW" it wont work,this is a problem i have been having sence all this started.on some sites it wont let me move to aeras that are wnderlined.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get it here, nearest download location

http://www.majorgeek...mNRT_d4749.html

howie99

howie99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
HAY MATE THANKS .IT WORKED GOT RID OF NORTON SO NOW AVAST WORKS. STILL CANT ACESS MEDIA PLAYER,HELP OR SYSTEM RESTORE ALSO MY PRINTER WONT PRINT PAGES FROM INTERNET SITES.IM THINKING OF INSTALLING WINDOWS SERVICE PAC 2 WOULD THIS FIX THE PROBLEMS, THANKS FOR YOUR PATINCE IM AN OLD GUY 65 YEARS YOUNG JUST GETTING INTO PCS SO BEAR WITH ME.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Service pack 2 gives you a more secure computer, (before you install it, run disc clean up, disc defragmneter and run a virus scan, then install the updates from here)

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Plus you can install media player 10 or 11

Aslo Internet Explorer 7 beta 3

Which leaves system restore, which you can fix now if you like because SP2 will set restore points and it needs to be on if you want to roll back a windows media player installation, you need the XP CD

1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf and press enter

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, (listed as Sr), right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer

howie99

howie99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Keith for all your help i am now up and running again. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts