Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router/Ethernet Card difficulties?

• Please log in to reply

Zeljko

Zeljko

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay, here's the problem. There are two computers in my house. One in the basement, and one on the second floor. The cable company (Shaw) told us that to run a second line upstairs would mean that we would have to pay a second monthly rate, and the better thing to do would be to get a wireless router, since the computer on the second floor has wireless capabilities So, I bought a wireless router, trendnet's TEW-432BRP. The Computer in the basement does not have wireless capabilities.

Here's the problem. While the basement computer works when it is connected directly to the modem, when it is connected to the router, it does not. The modem is connected to the router, and everything is working properly there, but the connection straight from the router to the basement computer does not work. The LAN light does not come on for the router and the light at the back of the computer does not come on as well, like it does when the modem connects to it directly. In this setup however, the computer upstairs does get internet, through the wireless connection. All the cables have been confirmed to be working properly and, just as a test, I brought the router upstairs and plugged it directly into the Second Floor computer, at which point both the router's LAN light came on, and the light at the back of the computer came on. This tells me that the router is also working properly. The problem with the current situation is that only one computer at a time, either the basement computer (directly connected to the modem) or the second floor computer (through the wireless router) can have internet access. Why won't the basement computer accept the connection through the router?, and how can I get it to do so? Do I need to configure some settings, and if so, what?

The basement computer has a Windows XP Home Version 2002 (Service Pack 2) operating system, and VIA Rhine II Fas Ethernet Adapter. Any advice? Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Are you using the correct type of cat5 cable from the router to the PC? I know with a setup like yours (separate modem and router), one of the cat5 cables has to be different type (not twisted pair like the others). I just set up my son's wireless network recently. Didn't use the cat5 cable in the router packaging, just used existing twisted-pair one that he bought for the laptop before going wireless. Well it didn't work (PC couldn't detect the router). So we used the supplied cat5 cable instead (called a 'patch cable' I think) and it worked no problem. Could that be your problem I wonder?

Edited by pip22, 14 July 2006 - 05:07 AM.

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Perhaps... I did use my own Cat 5, but that's because there wasn't one supplied. That's definately a posibility, but if it is, I'm not sure as to what kind of Cat5 to get next. Someone also told me that you need Windows XP Pro, and that Home Edition won't do.

tozmanian

tozmanian

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi zeljko,
First XP home will work fine. The easiest way to solve this problem is to go to Windows help and look up networking. It will walk you through the steps of setting up a home network there. Print out the instructions and follow them and I'm sure you'll be up and running in 15 minutes. Good Luck.
Toz

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you've got a broadband modem...connected to a wireless router (how are they connected)...

when you hard wire computer 1 (basement) to the router...you get nothing...lan lite doesnt come on and no internet..

when you hard wire computer 2 (upstairs) to the router...all is well (correct? or are you only connecting wirelessly?)

the different ethernet cable would be a crossover cable...and those are only needed to connect end devices (like computer to computer...or router to router...) theoretically you may need one of these to go from modem to router...but your description suggests you do not...as you can get access from one of the computers...

with computer 1 plugged into the router (and the router plugged into the modem) do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all and post the results

do the same with computer 2

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay computer 1 (basement) said Media State................. Mediadisconnected under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection

computer number 2(through the wireless connection) for the Wireless NetworkConnection had the Ip Address, Subnet mask and default gateway, while under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection it said Media State................. Mediadisconnected

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the first..unexpected...the second..e.xpectedish

ok on the basement machine...right click my computer > manage > device manager...do you see any yellow ? or !

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, I just see a list of drives. There's no yellow or exclamation marks beside any of them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you see a section for network cards?

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, there's a section called network adapters.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is there a network adapter in that section? and does it have any yellow or red next to it?

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There are two things under that section:
1394 net adapter
and
VIA Rhine II Fas Ethernet Adapter
Neither one have any red or yellow next to them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....right click on my network places (on your desktop) and choose properties..what do you see?

Zeljko

Zeljko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There is no network places icon on the basement desktop. I clicked a little icon in the bottom righthand corner of the tool bar and it went to a place called network connections. The 1394 net connection thing looked normal, but under the local area connection 2 icon it said a network cable is unplugged above VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and the ethernet cable is deffinitely plugged in correct?