Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Israel...

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
What do you think? Is Israel doing the right thing? Discuss the current situation that could possibly lead to World War III.

(If a mod/admin thinks this will lead to flaming, lock. But I think its worth discussing.)

Edited by Comrade General, 13 July 2006 - 06:34 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Without going into detail I just feel that the middle East situation is not going to lead to gobal war since the sides and targets are not really clear, and for exactly the same reason I do not feel that this current situation is going to lead to peace either. I am afraid that this situation is just going to simmer on at varying heats.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
It's ok to discuss this, but let's remember to not get into actual politics of each country, etc. We can have a good general discussion here if everyone stays on topics, and respects each others' opinions. :whistling:

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Isreal has been in coutless conflicts since '47, this is a rather minor incident in it's history. Not to mention it's history over the past few thousand years. World War III, I doubt it.

As long as it appears to do the right thing whilst defending or retaliating, I'd say this would blow over rather quickly, I doubt we would see similar events in Lebanon like we had in the 80's.

The Middle East as a whole is certainly a hotbed of diplomatic or insugent tension at the moment. One false move by any party can see matters deterioate quickly. Unfortunatly this is what some people want.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As much as I enjoy debating with sarahw, I'll agree with her here. :whistling:

The only issue that really bothers me is when one starts tracking funding and supply lines, there appear to be larger powers involved. Hopefully all will practice restraint and let Israel get about their own defense... something at which they are very capable.

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I really hope this blows over quickly and the US does not bud its head into it. The last thing I want is to go from spending the year in one desert to go to another. I just want to go home and be able to enjoy my time. They have been doing this for years and now is not the time to jump in.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont think they would, if they did that is probably the one thing that COULD trigger another maybe not world war but something pretty close to one, and i dont want to particulary spend any time fighting in any desert at all im not as keen to join up as i was when i was younger but i would still feel duty bound to do so if there was so large a war if it threatened home as a war with the middle east probably would.

It will hopefully blow over, Israel is more than capable of defending itself its got the best toys and alot of troops for so small a nation they can handle themselves fine without intervention.

Edited by warriorscot, 14 July 2006 - 11:15 AM.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I like how you guys are hopeful about this not dragging into a world conflict. If and only if Iran does nothing in this, I don't think we(USA) will get into this conflict. But Iran and Israel pretty much hate each other so I don't know. It could go any way easily.

I'm hearing that Israel kind of wants to go into Syria... Which I wish they would of just attacked them instead of Libenion really. Syria and Iran fund those terrorist, I just say knock the head off the body.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not that simple, Israel is for better or worse bound ot the west if things go south its the only reliable stronghold for any allied forces in the area to establish themselves so if the things hit the fan the US and probably the UK and maybe a couple other EU nations will have to respond to that by backing "their player" as Iran and Syria are a whole different kettle of fish that lebanon which is poor and doesnt have a chance whereas Syria and Iran can field large relativley modern forces that would tear Israel a new one if they only had Israel to fight.

A direct attack on Iran and Syria if anything will would kick of another global war. They are allready pushing it Israel is kinda overstepping the mark a bit at the moment and they cant continue if they do it will be very worrying as it has alot of potential to go wrong for all of us.

Yes Iran and Syria fund terroists but so does Israel and so does the US and the UK and so do the russians everyone does they are all as bad as each other on that front and to go to war other that would be hypocritical and wrong.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And the plot thickens.

Syria has thrown it's full support behind Lebanon and Hezbolah...Iran has already made it clear that if Israel attacks Syria it will mean all out war. With our (meaning the former NATO members) loyalties being with Israel, this new escalation has very ominous implications.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello,
Glade this has been brought up, been watching quite a bit of CNN lately to keep up with it. But i must admit it really does worry me of global conflict. I do believe that Isreal has overstepped and could have taken a much more peaceful approch over the kidnapping of 2 soldiers.....and the original attack that started the end of the ceasefire, when they shot at an area in which they believed was a location that held missiles....it was not. While this is indead a grave problem due to the fact that they now have caused a major disturbance but it is now believed that syria and Iran want to enter the war to take the eyes off of the other problems that are now circulating them (nuclear crisis, ect.) and opinions are divided among the develloped nations suchy as france, germany and the usa. But its now believed that syria is funding the Lebanonise offensive. While i don't believe that this will cause a world wide conflict i do see it spreading to the support of other nations if Syria and Iran do indead join in.
This is already a crisis that has lead to the death of hundreds....lets just hope that this blows over and the death toll doesn't rise much higher. The world has no place for wars, yet we cannot seem to live without them, sadly. I can only hope that other countries such a syria, iran and the united states keep thier noses out of this one and allow another country to settle this peacefully and abrotly, as we don't need another Iraq war, even though it'll be in the middle of it. This could be a long battle, [bleep] those terrorists.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 July 2006 - 07:21 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol if you watch CNN your not exactly getting a clear picture of the news. It doesnt seem to be getting any worse the Iranians gave Hezbollah a missile they used to attack a warship so everyone is pretty annoyed with Iran for that.

Israel hasnt moved alot of forces into the areas under attack which is unusual they probably dont want a war as much as everyone else, i wouldnt say they stepped over the mark though it was a proportionate response people have to know kidnap wont be tolerated. It is surprising how few assets they have in the border area i would have though they would be using artilary to take out the missile sites across the border as soon as they fire but they seem to be trying to go after the infrastructure.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I know CNN isn't the best place for reliable news :blink: But its all i really got because canada doesn't have any 24/7 news coverage....or at my house, don't get CTV newsnet. At least i don't have fox news though :help:

It is surprising how few assets they have in the border area i would have though they would be using artilary to take out the missile sites across the border as soon as they fire but they seem to be trying to go after the infrastructure.

I'm wondering the same thing.....

Ceasefire talks have began.......but only if the soldiers are brought back, to bad it was a bunch of terrorists that took them. But we can still hope :whistling:
James

Edited by james_8970, 17 July 2006 - 03:19 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They arent really terrorists, what is your defintion of a terrorist they are military fighting force with presence in the lebanon government, while not fully sanctioned by the governemnt they arent a terrorist force. One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighters, George washington in every respect of the word was as muc a terrorist as Hezbolahs leaders but you wont see a history book call him one, the french Maquis were terrorists but we call them freedom fighters.

Be careful with the word terrorist you shouldnt tar everyone with such a very large brush

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hhhmmmm either CNN said they wher terrorists or i just assumed it i don't know.....thanx for clearing that up.
James