Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Israel...

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
WOW! What are they even thinking about?! What advantages do they see in attacking the UN?!
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 August 2006 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
And now I agree with scot 100%. btw I heard of french troops being deployed as peacekeepers from the BBC news.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know the only peace keepers in the region right now are the UN troops, not alot of them though the UN doesnt have a very large force and its mostly older bueracrats with sidearms types.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Isreal is a government that would do anything for survival. As any human would. The plight of it's people throughout history is saddening. It's the extent to which it goes to protect itself that is the problem. Some politicians need serious lessons in diplomacy.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Am i the only one that sees the rules for this ceasefire a little pointless?

Like peace yay....but when isreal moves out, hezbohllah is only going to regroup, stregthen and gain more and more public support due to this war and the damage that has been created. The weapons are going to increase and then we can see us running the same course within a couple of months.....

Am i the only one that has these views or do others see the future holding this as well?

James

Edited by james_8970, 14 August 2006 - 02:55 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thing is once the peacekeeping force is in neither side will be able to move because a UN ceasefire while at the moment a gesture once consolidated will be enforced which means any Hezbollah rocket sites will be destroyed immediately and israeli aircraft shot down neither side will be able to move against the other peacekeepers can have a greatly calming influence and the people of lebanon are cultured this isnt some islamic backwater hotbed so its doubtful Hezbollah will gain much more support however the israelis havent made any friends and that will be reflected in the lebanese militray who will probably be much more aggresive against incursion in the future.

The peacekeepers will be there for a while its only 15,000 strong but it is backed up by the lenanese militray so the ceasefire should be in place for a while once established.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I do agrree with some of the posts, in regard to the way that isreal has carried out its destruction of lebanon, using hezzbollah as its excuse,, again.
Even to the point of turning on its allies, not taking the advice of freindly nations,, ignoring pleas for ceasfires.
They are loosing a lot of very helpful allies, that will noew look on the state of isreal with a similar look of distain that the rest of the arab world has.

As we speak, Iran, another loose cannon, craving respect from the international community for many years, (whilst still demanding to run its country the way they see fit, ) is about to go into the later stages of developing nuclear warheads.
No-one will stop them. Sanctions havent worked for years, adding more sanctions wont matter to their goverment in the slightest.
No-one, not even the elected american lunatics, are going to wage another war,,,, sorry repatriation.
Their troops, and ours, are spread far and wide, outnumbered by guerrilla forces that run circles around them.
Although not in numbers being bodybagged home, their prescence in Iraq, and afghanistan is becoming a worse political nightmare than vietnam ever was.

But getting back to another loose cannon mentioned earlier,,,Iran.

How long do you think its going to be before those " martyers of the faith ", finally develop a few nuclear warheads ??? i give you one guess where they are going to strike when they push the button.

Isreal has long been the target of iran. They have made the world laugh and sneer at their frequent claims to want to "" wipe isreal off the face of the planet "".
Very soon they will have the cabability to do it for real,,,, anybody doubt that the religious fanatics with no care for human suffering will be the ones willingly pressing the buttons, i have no doubt whatsover.

Iran isnt the slightest bit concerned by the yanks, the uk, the chinese the russians the united nations,,, nobody,, they fear nobody.
When they do wipe out the state of isreal with there new found toys of war, they are even so fanatical to think that there will be no retaliatry strikes on their land. Who would dare risk an all out third world war, using nuclear weapons ?????

They think that by wiping out isreal, ( who has no freinds ), they will somehow get the respect that the us,uk and ussr had when they held the keys to the launch pads.

I am scared,,,really scared. I have a 3yr old daughter who is going to have to grow up and watch the final haulocaust live on tv,, thats even more scary.

The world has always been ruined by political lunatics and religious fanatics, this is nothing new,, only the weapons of mass destruction they are getting their hands on now is adding a dangerous new element to it all.

They will all soon have the upper hand, and all the so called western civillisation will be able to say is,,,we should have got to them earlier.

A new cold war is coming,, but the players are going to be very different to those that the world could ever imagine.

Thats my tuppence worth anyway.
No offence is being implied to any race, nation or religious group,, this is just the way i see the world going.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Iran is doing what any nation would do. If you look at a map, you'll see that Iran is enveloped, therefore it has to counter this by aquiring superior armament. This helps assure that it will not be invaded under the principals of mutual assured destruction and becomes immune to increasing hegemony. Iran fears the surrounding geostrategic policy is a direct threat to it's populations way of life, however, Isreal undoubtably feels the same way.

Edited by sarahw, 27 August 2006 - 10:11 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah iran is hardline but its leader isnt as hardline as he is made out to be and the guy is very intellignet and articulate i doubt even if he had the weapons he would use them, nuclear weapins are a powerful political tool more than a weapon, its much simpler to build devestatingly effective standard warheads that are almost as effective as nukes at destruction, look at dresden in WW2 the RAF did more damage to that city than any nuke could have and that was 60 years ago. Nuclear weapons arent very good as weapons they are too destructive in many respects.

Also its quite possible Iran will never create a functional warhead as that region is to instable if one were to fall into the wrong hands it would be bad they dont want that, what seems the most logical and the action they are apparently taking as many other nations do, is construct nuclear plants and facilities that could in theory produce weapons grade material perhaps stockpile some material then threaten to make a bomb, at the moment there is no indication of a plan to make a bomb thats panic mongering at the moment they are just building a couple of power plants and putting everything into that, which is logical and to be honest its a little arrogant to impose western beliefs that half of westerners dont beleive in on other countries if situation was reversed and the middle east was the power in the world as it very well could have been you think we would have not developed nuclear energy because they said so, i think not. China has nukes and the north koreans having them THAT worries me not Iran.

Also not all muslims are fanatics, many especially iran play the fanatic to annoy the west its like religions all over the world those at the top rarely believe what they preach its a tool to control the masses. For example they use the traditional cultural dislike of jews which was compounded by the taking of israel by jewish militants to control the masses and gain power, in actual fact attacking jews and christians is quite strictly forbidden by the islamic religion but you dont see them preaching that particular chapter alot.

Also Afghanistan isnt a huge problem US and UK forces while surrounded and outnumbered have superior training firepower, the forces in the area are inflicting huge amounts of damage on guerilla forces the battles are almost always won by coalition forces at the moment we lose troops at a rate of at most 1 a week of late thats more than sustainable and the guerillas are being taken out at the rate of what can be hunderds in a week which is unsustainable for them. Iraq is a peacekeeping operation which is a different scenario but they arent in full out war terrorism and the small guerilla forces arent to much to worry about in terms of threat to forces survival they will never be over run at the moment they are to busy fighting themselves, which isnt to bad as whatever is left will be easier to subdue.