Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

samfilt.sys suspicious activity

• Please log in to reply

incredidome

incredidome

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am just about losing hope on figuring out what "samfilt.sys" is :whistling:

See here for the long explanation:

http://forums.techgu...s-activity.html

Basically 2 questions:

(1) Has anyone heard of this file before?

(2) And, if you could please, give your WINDOWS folder a search to see if you have samfilt.sys

Also, state whether your PC is Dell manufactured with a Dell keyboard. I suspect the file is by Dell.

Edited by incredidome, 13 July 2006 - 08:02 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Description: samfilt.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. The file size on Windows XP is 34688 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program has no visible window. It is a keyboard driver, can record inputs. The service has no detailed description. samfilt.sys is not a Windows system file. samfilt.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 64% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as samfilt.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the samfilt.sys process on your pc whether it is pest

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

incredidome

incredidome

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, but I have already confirmed my PC's health and it is perfect. No Malware.

What I am wondering is what exactly is this samfilt.sys file??

The info at http://www.file.net/...amfilt.sys.html is the only place that gives information, however it states that samfilt.sys is 64% dangerous, which I have reason to disagree with.

I need to find someone who has this exact same file to know that it is in fact a normal file. I suspect it comes with Dell-built PC's.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's a dolphin keyboard file

incredidome

incredidome

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for working with me here :whistling:

So you mean to say that the file is harmless? You have seen this dolphin keyboard file before?

The curious thing is: why would I have the file if I've never used a dolphin keyboard?

Perhaps Dell hired dolphin to create a driver for them?

I just find it odd that so little information is available.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The main worry is malware / spyware, if you have ruled those out then leave it

You could check through add and remove

Hold the mouse over the file to see if it names the company, or right click it, click properties