Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer shut down it's self and won't restart

• Please log in to reply

nzmissy

nzmissy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi all my daughter was chating on line using msn
she noticed the mouse stop moving then the computer shut it's self down
now when we turn it on all it does is do one beep off and on but no boot up with the operating system just beeps
please help new learner

Edited by nzmissy, 13 July 2006 - 08:04 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A constant single beep is telling you there is a hardware problem with the computer. The usual cause is memory not connecting or going bad. With the computer unplugged take the memory out and reseat it and see if the computer will boot up. If it still does not start, replace the memory.

If the memory is not the problem the next step is the video card. Most times the computer will boot but there will be no display. Sometimes if the slot on the motherboard is damaged the computer will not start and you get the beeps.

Last thing to check is the motherboard itself. The problem here is how to check the MB. The only thing you can really do is check all connections by unplugging and reseating them. I use a post board to check motherboards. Since most people won't go that far(buying a post board) it would be easier to take the computer to a shop to check the motherboard.

SRX660

tozmanian

tozmanian

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi nzmissy,
Not sure what you are giving for your beep code. Is it just one short beep? If so, then that means that the video is working ok and is not the problem. I also need more information about your computer. Brand, operating system, etc. I'll try to help if you can give more information. Thanks.
Toz

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
IF you are new to the insides of a computer you may be overwhelmed by the techspeak. If so, let us know, people on this forum do speak plainer English if required (including the very clued up SRX660 :whistling: )

A short guide, just in case:

memory = RAM (Random Access Memory)

Video card (aka graphics card) - If you have a store bought computer there is a good chance it doesn't have an extra one of these but uses onboard graphics (in other words it is part of the motherboard). In this case you can't remove it.

MB = motherboard = (also sometimes called) Mobo

If you can tell us the make and model of your computer it will be easier to help you. We can also help you find that out if needed.

Edited by digikiwi, 14 July 2006 - 05:40 AM.

nzmissy

nzmissy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi all thanks you so much for your help
i opened the cover and lifted out my sticks of ram that had dust all over them removed the graphics card gave the whole computer a good dusting down refitted the ram back in plug her in and away she booted
then switched off machine put in graphics card to find my problem........(Graphics Card) never to mind all's fine as not even a 4 month old graphics card so taking back to where i brought it for a new one
thanks again so much will stay in touch and hopefully i may be able to help someone to

happy leaner