Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is Best Anti-Virus Software?

• Please log in to reply

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Need some opinions on a new anti virus software since my 1 year subscription will be runnin out soon. At the moment I use Norton Internet Security 2k6. Never really had a problem with the norton anti virus series before but it is a huge resource hog and runs a lot of processes, not to mention that when I baught this copy it came bundled free with Norton System Works which atfer installing for the first time and doing the inital reboot killed my spare HD. Luckily it was only a 40gig that I never used much and didnt have too much valuble stuff on it, I told myself never gonna use another Norton product again. I actually went on the net and searched around wether I was the only one System Works did this to and found out that there was tons of ppl out there who had System Works mostly erase their HD's completely and then a smaller fraction of ppl reported HD death.

Anywho would like a few opinions on a new anti-virus preferably with firewall and other goodies. The ones I have been looking at so far are Panda Software Platinum Internet Security 2006, eTrust Internet Security Suite 2006, PC-cillin and Bit Defender. If you guys could comment on any of these or provide any other good ones to look at would be greatly appriciated!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get AVG for the anti virus and get zone alarm for the firewall...both are free and work well without bogging down your computer :whistling:

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I agree with happyrck regarding firewall recommendation, but disagree with antivirus. For a free AV, Avast Antivirus Home Edition beats AVG for detection rate and frequency of updates. maybe try them both and decide for yourself? :
http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

Edited by pip22, 14 July 2006 - 08:24 AM.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
I use Trend PC-cillin right now, It's quite good, and it has a built-in firewall. And it doesn't use much of you computer's resources. I have used eTrust's anti-virus before, and I wouldn;t recommend it.

Hope that helps.

(I dont know how long the trial is for PC-cillin but I bought mine.)

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi there

If you are looking at paid for software then I would recommend either Kaspersky or NOD32. Free software, either AVG or Avast.

Jellycat

Jellycat

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I've used Norton, McAfee and Trend PC-Cillin all based on their respective security suites

In short, Trend has proved least troublesome and effective once setup and educated etc - Also very good at not hogging resources on your PC - good for small office/home networks

McAfee has some good qualities but also some v. annoying glitches (see my post re McAfee Scan) and their tech support can vary!

Norton - I have to say I am no longer prepared to use this software - mainly due to its resource hungry nature

Good luck!

Patrick
St Andrews

Xpert

Xpert

• Pip
  • 3 posts
In my opinion
Best commercial A/V = NOD32
Best Freeware A/V = BitDefender
Firewall = Sygate

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
If you want a good free firewall which doesn't use a lot of ur CPU try Filsecap Personal Firewall. Just Google it.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Don't see any point in paying for either a firewall or AV when ZoneAlarm and Avast Home Edition are dependable and free. neither of them have let me down in the 2-years I've been using them. All attacks have been stopped, and all viruses have been detected and prevented from doing any harm. What could be better than that?

Sha2

Sha2

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Avast Anti Virus free is very good and i have tried both paid and free types of AV software. You can't beat this or ZoneAlarm to protect your system. I also run WinPatrol and ProcessGuard, both are free and offer extra protection. I can't remember the last time I had a major problem. The free version of SpySweeper is also worth having a look at.

Always try before you buy a lot of the free stuff can be very good. :whistling: