Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

7900GT vs. 7900GTX

• Please log in to reply

erndawg101

erndawg101

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
So I'm nosing around newegg for a new card and I come across the 7900GTX and the 7900GT BOTH with 512mb. Here are the links...

7900GTX - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127097
7900GT - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130034

After looking over the specs for both the GTX will run me about $90 more than the GT after shipping, and the only gains I can see based on the spec sheets are as follows...

Core Clock
GT - 560Mhz
GTX - 650Mhz

Memory Clock
GT - 1500Mhz
GTX - 1600Mhz

Aside from those two items, these cards are identical, unless I'm missing something. So now my question is what is the value of 90Mhz on the core and 100Mhz on the memory? Is it worth spending the $90 for it, or should I buy a couple games or a better power supply (400w currently) with the money instead? Thanks for you input/opinions...

Current System Specs
Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Memory (RAM): 2048 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.40GHz (Dual Core)
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Hard Disks: C: 232.9GB | D: 232.9GB
Motherboard: MSI MS-7176

Edited by erndawg101, 13 July 2006 - 09:16 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
they are both good fast cards...if you want bragging rights for a short time ..go with the GTX..if you dont mind losing a few frames per second get the GT and buy yourself a treat :whistling:

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
There are a couple more differences between the GT and GTX. The GTX has Memory Bandwidth: 51.2 GB/sec while the GT has 42.24 GB/sec. GTX also has higher shader operations, pixel fill rate, texture fill rate and vertex operations. GTX is also much quieter then the GT.

Now looking from the 2 cards you chose I would deffinately go for the Msi GTX. I say that mainly because the GT you chose is EVGA, even tho Evga has the best customer support out of anyone period the evga 7 series are known to be faulted and more then 50% of them have to be RMA'd back. You can check this out by going to the Evga forums, I have been doing alot of reserach on this since I was going to get an evga 7900GT KO Superclocked myself. The superclocked seem to be the ones having the most troubles but the rest of the 7900GT are also having same problems. We are talking about people having to RMA their cards 2 to 3 even 4 times before they get a working card and some dont even get that. Evga has just shipped this week a brand new batch of the GT cards that were suppose to fix some of those issues, the first batch is going to people waiting in line for RMA's and the retailers should be getting them next week or so. Noone is really sure if the new batch fixes stuff like they are suppose to since most people will be recivin theirs tomorrow or next week.
When I talk about the cards faults Im talking about stuff like:
1. Artifacts, tearing, fine colored dots, black spots with missing graphics.
2. Severe distortion.
3. Complete system hangup.
4. Flickering desktop about 1 or 2 second intervals. Desktop may have colors missing or black spots in windows, taskbar and start button.

As far as the 7900GT KO Superclocked they dont even have a fix for those yet so noone knows about those. If your interested in the newer batch of Evga you can go on their forums and get the model number for the new batch so as to make sure you get one of the new ones if you do decide to order one of theirs.

Also here is a link to their message board in case you wish to read up on it further.

http://member.evga.c...asp?FORUM_ID=32