Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer problem after new program installed

• Please log in to reply

cjh1221

cjh1221

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Recently a friend of mine tried to install new software she got free off the internet. It is supposed to help her get rid of all the private info on her machine so that her roomate or whatever cannot see it. She usually asks me first, neglected to do so, and now has a problem. I don't know too much about computers, so I will list what I know here and see if anyone can give me a hand.
She is running Windows 98 (pain in the butt). She tried to intall Machine Cleanser Software and Privacy Crusader Software. They told her they would send her a confirmation code in her e-mail to enter after she downloaded. As soon as the program was downloaded she tried to get online to get the code from her e-mail and her IE no longer worked. All she gets is a white screen.
I have run all the programs you have listed here and I also intalled WinPatrol on her machine prior to this incident. Should I run a hijack log? I don't have anyway to download it to her machine. I would have to put it on a disk and do it that way, which is doable, just a pain if it is not necessary.
I cannot find either of the programs in her add/remove, nor anywhere else in her system when I try to do a find for it. Is it a virus? Is it something harmful, or is there another possible cause? I have run all the scanners listed here, except Ewido. It seems that Ewido is not compatible with 98.
If anyone could offer me some advice I would appreciate it since I just moved and I have no way of staying in touch with her besides the computer, since I long ago banned land-line phones and I have very poor reception where I live. I am willing to try anything to get it going again, it just may take a while since I live a good distance from her now.
Sorry for being so long-winded. :whistling:

Advertisements

cjh1221

cjh1221

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
This issue has been resolved.