Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another Blue screen topic

• Please log in to reply

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
My laptop/notebook is a HP pavilion ZE4800, recently it began to run really slow. I ran antivirus and spyware checks, and came up with nothing. Yesterday, whilst booting up, windoiws crashed and restarted, it came up with a blue screen that disappeared after a second. Now everytime i boot my notebook, it takes about 10 minutes to boot windows, but the blue screen appears before windows can load and it restarts almost immediatly after. The only bit of the info i managed to see was something like STOP (0x000000f4), before it shuts down. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this please? Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Chris_UK...

Will the machine start in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during bootup? Sounds like it may be hardware related.

wannabe1

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Safe mode does work, what should i do from here? Thank you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". In the left pane, click on "System" and look for any red circles. List a couple of the most recent ones here for me.

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Most two recent ones are

ERROR and under Sourcec it says DCOM event: 10005

Then about 7 more under that say:

ERROR Source: Service Controll Manager Event: 7001 (although one of them is 7026)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have Norton installed on the machine?

This could be any one of a number of problems. Norton can cause this, as can a RAM problem, a video adapter or other hardware, or even a corrupt driver.

Let me know on the Norton...

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes i have Norton Installed

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What version?

Let's uninstall it from Safe Mode using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Uninstall the main application first, then Live Update, then Live Reg. See if it will then allow you to boot normally. Be forwarned, if the Norton application is damged, it may have problems uninstalling...there are removal tools we can use if this is the case.

Edited by wannabe1, 13 July 2006 - 11:41 PM.

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Uninstalling it now, what do you think i should do to make my computer run faster? Someone suggested i format the hard disk, but i dont know how to do that without a floppy disk drive

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Getting rid of Norton will be a start...it's a real resource hog. :whistling:

Let's wait and see what the problem is, then we'll look at the performance issues.

Advertisements

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Norton is gone now, ive restarted my notebook and it loads as usual, but its still as slow as before. =\

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...so Norton was the culprit....cool. Now you need an AV application. Avast! is a good one to use for a bit and it's free. There's a link to the download in my signature line. Install it and update it...don't let it do a boot time scan, you'll be given that choice at the end of the installation. You'll be sitting there the rest of the night if you do. :whistling:

Run Avast!, then run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools (Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools)...that will clean the disk up a bit and organize the files.

I've got to get some sleep (midnight here), but that will give you some things to do that are bound to help some. Let me know how it goes...I'll check back in the morning.

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok thank you for your help, i would still like to know how i would go about formatting a notebook pc without using a floppy drive, incase i need to do something like that in the future.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the Recovery cd that came with the machine or does your machine use a recovery partition on the HDD?

If you have the Recovery cd, you'd simply put the cd in the drive and restart. If it's on a partition, there should be a key to press during bootup to access the recovery files...you'd have to check the documentation for your machine for that.

There may also be a way to make the recovery cd from the hidden partition...that would also be explained in the manual.

Chris_UK

Chris_UK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok, thank you for the help, i am going to install the AntiVirus you recommended