Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU ADAPTOR, HEATSINK, AND THERMAL COMPOUND QUESTION

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello I have an HP Vectra VL400 pc. I am currently running a 800mhz Pentium 3 (Spec# SL4CD) processor with a 133mhz bus on an Intel Solano i815 chipset. My Socket 370 does not allow the later 1.4ghz Tulatin Penitum 3 processors so I had to buy a FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 Socket Adaptor on ebay. I got that in the mail already. I just bought a 1.4ghz Tualatin Penitium 3 (Spec# SL6BY) processor off ebay today.

1. I am wondering what kind of compound I should use on the processor between it and the heatsink I currently have which is a small Copper Based XP Cooler w/Fan (Model# C41(DC1206BM-L/610-P-CU). I can't really tell the brand of the heatsink w/fan but I think it says Microfin & CE. Keep in mind that I have to piggyback the socket adaptor on top of the original socket on my motherboard, and than place the heatsink w/fan on. So you have to imagine that being that my pc is going to be in a vertical position, the adaptor may cling off a little, or it may create gaps of air because the heatsink w/fan may pe weighing on it. I have not tried to install it yet as I have'nt recieved the Tualatin processor in the mail. I heard there is something called Thermal Pads. Let me know what I should use. & especiall what the best thermal stuff to use is. Let me know brand name, etc. My cooling decision has to be right. I obviously still need to use the heatsink w/fan. But what is the choice I should go for what goes in between them knowing the problems that may arise from my motherboard being in a vertical position? By the way my member pic is the exact case I use.

2. I have downloaded the last bios they made for my pc off the HP site, which is one version higher than the bios I currently use. I have also downloaded something called Hp Vectra VL400 Utility To Save & Restore Bios Settings, listed off the same page that bios download is on. I have no idea what that last save and restore one is. I don't even know how to use that or how to even update my bios as well. The reason I mention these is because this adaptor has been proven to work with the Tualatin processors but sometimes it requires you to have a newer bios upgrade so it recognizes the processor. I believe the second tool I mentioned is a way to save the older bios and settings I have in case I want to set it back. Hopefully maybe one of you can tell me how to use both in case the adaptor does'nt work/boot for me and I need to upgrade to the newer bios. So please tell me how to use them ahead of time in case I need them. Everyone knows taking a pc apart is time consuming.

Bios & Utility Page For My Pc At HP's Site

3. Gimmie tips on what I should and should'nt do with this thing to avoid ruining my hardware. Such as wrong jumper settings on the adaptor that will result in bad voltage or something. I dunno... you be the one to judge and say what I should watch out for! Make sure you guys give me your take on what jumper settings I should use.

Here is the exact specs processor I am currently using:

My current processor

Here is the exact specs of the Tualatin processor I am getting in the mail: (Note: Supposedly there is a misprint with the core voltage. It is really 1.45v)

The Tualatin I Am Getting

Here are configurations that can be used with the adaptor. These do not come with the adaptor but were found on a chinese chat site. I dunno how this was found out and released to the internet public, but apparently they work. As I said these settings do not come with the sale of the adaptor and were never printed with the sale of it:

no jumpers a1 thru b3 1.30V
a8-a9 1.35V
a2-a3 1.40V
a2-a3 a8-a9 1.45V
a5-a6 1.50V
a5-a6 a8-a9 1.55V
a2-a3 a5-a6 1.60V
a2-a3 a5-a6 a8-a9 1.65V
b2-b3 1.70V
a8-a9 b2-b3 1.75V
a2-a3 b2-b3 1.80V
a2-a3 a8-a9 b2-b3 1.85V
a4-a5 b2-b3 1.90V
a8-a9 b2-b3 1.95V
a2-a3 a5-a6 b2-b3 2.00V
a2-a3 a5-a6 a8-a9 b2-b3 2.05V

b5-b6 b8-b9 66MHz
b8-b9 100MHz
no jumpers b4 thru b9 133MHz

These are pics I found of the adaptor on the net: (Notice the jumper settings)

FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 Adaptor. The jumpers are pre set and shipped like this. The seller of this adaptor actually told me to keep the settings as is in this first picture. But if you notice the settings and than compare it to the list of settings I found on the chat site, it is incorrect to what a (Spec# SL6BY) Tualatin 1.4Ghz should use, running at a 133 bus speed.

Posted Image

This is the adaptor with jumpers set up for use with a Tualatin 1.4Ghz Pentium 3 Processor (Spec# SL6BY). I found this pic on the net off someone who did the same thing I am doing with the same processor.
Posted Image

This is how the adaptor is supposed to look piggy backed on the real motherboard socket 370.
Posted Image

This is supposed to be the original chinese instructions for the adaptor. These are actually the only instructions that come with the adaptor. They were not sent with the purchase of my adaptor. But I asked them to take a picture of it because I need to see the original instructions that come with it. I have been told by some adaptor sellers that this has grammatical errors. And may contain some wrong settings. Compare them to the list of settings I listed above. The seller told me these instructions are not neccessary, that I should keep the settings the way they shipped the adaptor to me, and that these in the pic are not useful at all. The settings they sent by deafault were not even set for a 133 bus speed. Seems to me like they do not know there are other setting options like the ones I found on the chinese chat site that I listed above.
Posted Image

THANK YOU

NOTE:
The answers to these questions will help me successfuly run this processor with the adaptor. Without having the answers to these questions now, I will not be able to successfully troubleshoot my problems during my upgrade. Because I will not be able to boot as I have to take my pc totally apart just to add this new adaptor and processor properly. I have an acrylic case and thus the motherboard has to fully be unscrewed and detached from my system to prevent damage to my case. That is when I can do the upgrade. If I am unsuccessful at doing it because of not having this information, I would than have to unscrew the motherboard out of my case and put the old processor back. It would just be too much "back and forth" work. Hope you guys can help. That processor should be arriving in the mail soon. I just hope everyone can help me get this right. Otherwise my money is going down the drain, and I fear I'll ruin something.

Edited by superstar, 14 July 2006 - 12:33 AM.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
From what it looks like you should be fine with your heatsink on the processor adaptor. The heatsink normally would clip onto the CPU socket on the mobo, and all that hold that on is 370 little pins soldered to the mobo. With the adaptor plugged into the mobo CPU socket, there should be enough support for your fan.

Also, you can use just about any thermal paste that you can get at a computer store. Your processor won't be putting out extreme heat, and if you aren't planning on overclocking standard thermal paste should be fine. To apply it, place about a pea sized amount on the CPU die and then press the heatsink on to the CPU. You shouldn't have to worry about any gaps since the fan will attach very tightly to the CPU socket.

For your bios issue, I would try the adaptor without the bios upgrade first. A bios upgrade is easy to do, but slightly risky. All you need to do is make a system disk and copy all the files in the bios download on to the floppy. Then insert the floppy into the computer and turn it on. It will boot to the floppy and update the bios. The only risk is if the computer turns off during the bios update, you could be stuck with a dead computer. But that risk is minimal, so don't worry if you need to upgrade the bios.

That other program is for copying bios settings from one computer to others so you don't have to manually each time. You don't need it to upgrade your bios, since all it does is save settings, not the actual bios.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you for your response...

You are right, the adaptor and heatsink should hold on properly and not cause it to break the motherboard. But what if by being in a vertical position, the adaptor with the cpu and heatsink, fall as a result of the heatsink clips not being on the motherboard socket? Because as you know the heatsink will only be able to clip onto the adaptor socket. Maybe there is a way for me to add support by soldering something? Or using some sort of reinforcement? If you are totally right that the socket on the motherboard is strong enough to hold the adaptor/processor/heatsink, without the heatsink being clipped onto the motherboard socket... Than I should be just fine. So the question is... Is the motherboard socket strong enough to hold this weight?

Any answers to the begining post will be appreciated, because there are a few issues I need to resolve... So everyone please continue to read the first post and give your feedback on the 3 sets of questions.

Edited by superstar, 14 July 2006 - 12:17 PM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I wouldn't worry about it. The adaptor will attach to the mobo socket just like the CPU does, and that is a very secure connection. There are 370 pins in a socket 370 CPU, and with the zero force insertion lever down all the pins are being held in place. I would be surprised to hear if there was even a gap that formed when you stood the tower up.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Any answers to the begining post will be appreciated, because there are still a few issues I need to resolve... So everyone please continue to read the first post and give your feedback on the 3 sets of questions.