Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Notebook PC does not power up

• Please log in to reply

feroz

feroz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My note book PC - HP pavilion dv1340us does not power up. I want to send the PC to the manufacturer for repari because it is still under warranty. But they have told me that my drive will be formatted after they repair. I want to recover and back up my data before I can send thePC to them. Can somebody let me know how to do it? I have heard of an option where the non-working PC can me made a slave and data can be recovered using another computer. Is this possible? Please let me know.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yes, you can. You will need to remove the hard drive and get a 2.5" to 3.5" HDD adaptor to hook it up to another computer. (You can get them on eBay or a decent computer store.) Once you do that, you should be able to set the drive as a slave, and attach it to the IDE cable of another drive. You can also leave it a primary if there is a spare IDE channel that you can plug it into. When you turn the computer on, you should see the laptop drive as a new hard drive and you can copy files to the other computer. Then just put the laptop drive back and send it in. You may want to check with your warranty to see if doing all that will void the warranty though. Sometimes they can be pretty picky.

feroz

feroz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can I do the recovery without removing the hard drive from the pc - using an ethernet / some other kind of cable.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
If the PC doesn't turn on, how can the hard drive get power? :whistling:

You would need to have the laptop on and running Windows to link it to another computer through an ethernet or a crossover cable.

feroz

feroz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
even though the PC does not turn on, I could feel the harddrive section at the bottom of the PC becomes hot when it is plugged on to an AC adapter. So I was not sure.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
That is probably the battery recharging. The charging circuts are just trying to keep the battery good, and charging batteries will heat up some.

You might be able to find a local computer store that can recover the data before you take it in. It's a pretty simple process, but it will cost you a few bucks.