Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Time and Date changing every day

• Please log in to reply

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi all, I recently posted an HJT log on the other thread, and all was fine and clear. P-C running fine.

However in the last week I have noticed that when I log on to Windows in the morning my date and time has changed, this is happening every day now.

It normally states the year 2001.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Many thanks

Carter

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Sounds like a dead CMOS battery. You will need to remove and replace it. Pretty simple, actually.

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks, what's a CMOS battery and how do I replace it? in fact where is it? lol

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
The motherboard needs to know certain settings in order to start up properly. To keep those settings in memory, you need a power source, so all motherboards have a little battery on them. One of the settings that it keeps is the time, and when your batter starts to die and lose it's settings, the time will change to the 'default' time. That's why your computer always goes back to the same time.

The batter is really easy to replace, and you can do it in about 5 minutes. Here's a good article on how to do it with pictures included:
http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2004/w1510/32w10/32w10.asp

Batteries are cheap. But if you are uncomforatble with changing the battery, you could always ask a friend or take it to a computer store.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

CMOS: Short for complementary metal oxide semiconductor. Pronounced see-moss, CMOS is a widely used type of semiconductor. CMOS semiconductors use both NMOS (negative polarity) and PMOS (positive polarity) circuits. Since only one of the circuit types is on at any given time, CMOS chips require less power than chips using just one type of transistor. This makes them particularly attractive for use in battery-powered devices, such as portable computers. Personal computers also contain a small amount of battery-powered CMOS memory to hold the date, time, and system setup parameters.

If you have a desktop machine, open your box and look around on your motherboard for a flat round battery about 3/4 inch diameter. Some have a little lever under them that lets you easily replace them for a new one.

EDIT: Looks like Fructose was a bit faster than me on this one.

Edited by emery, 14 July 2006 - 03:12 PM.