Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need some HD Help!

• Please log in to reply

tplain22

tplain22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm a hardware novice and need some help. The in-laws have a Dell Dinension 4100 with a 1 GHz Pentium 3 and a 20GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive. I'm down here for the weekend and my job is to get it working. When I turn the computer on, it sounds like the HD does a few clicks. Not beeps, unnatural clicks. Then it goes to a black screen that says "Invalid boot diskette, Insert BOOT diskette in A:" I tried running the 3.5 and it can't recognize a hard drive. Tried the CD and same thing. I can get to the DOS prompt from there and it doesn't recognize c: when I type it in. Says invalid...something. I got into the BIOS and the IDE Configuration is set to Auto. But the Primary IDE Master is "Not Installed." Does that mean anything? Also, my options for 1st boot device is: Floppy, ARMD-FDD, ARMD-HDD, IDE-HDD, ATAPI CDROM, and Disabled. I have it on IDE-HDD currently and the 2nd Boot Device is Floppy. Do I have that right? I sent the mother-in-law out to buy a Seagate 160GM Hard Drive (on sale for $40). Figured I try to replace that. That's the other problem. I've never performed surgery on a desktop before. Any tips? Also, she wants to get rid of ME and install XP Pro. If I get this working with ME, can I install XP later? A lot of question and a lot of info. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

-Confused in Cinci

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well..it sounds like the hard drive may have bitten the dust...if she's already going out to get a new HD..and if she really wants to switch to XP it may be best for her to do the xp now (no needless formats)...then you can just install the new hd as master and install XP on it...then hook up the old drive as a slave and see if you can get to the files that are on it to save her documents...

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah, no need to go through the pain twice. I would just cut to the chase and go with XP on the new drive....

XP Home is under $100..........