Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound problems

• Please log in to reply

unearth203

unearth203

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i have been having sound problems, it got really queit all of a sudden so i have to turn it all the way up just to hear anything, it was fine a few days ago so any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you know which make and soundcard you have

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
im not 100% computer savvy but i looked around and i think its a realtek ac97 is this the sound card?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, though you can check with this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok i ran the summary and clicked on download drivers the website popped up with nothing in the middle i didnt see what i was supposed to do next and by make and model do you mean the sound card well it came up with VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller and my OS is windows XP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Set the restore point, download and install from your nearest location

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4505

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i created a restore point and downloaded the link but when i ran setup it said continueing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediatly orin the future. microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed windows logo testing, this software has not passed windows logo testing,

so what do i do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is a box with continue anyway, press continue anyway

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok i installed it and continued anyway, but what am i supposed to do with this program, because the sound is still really quiet

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, sounds and speech, sounds and audio

What is the volume set at?

Advertisements

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
the volumes are all set to max

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click on audio and voice tabs, is the default playback set to the soundcard?

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
yes it is set to vinyl AC'97 audio wave

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
so i did some tinkering around, see i have speakers that are in the monitor, so i took some external speakers and plugged them into the monitor head phone jack just to see if maybe the speakers in the monitor were the problem but when i started up the music, nothin still the same level of sound, so then i hooked the external speakers up to the hard drives sound jack and the problem was fixed, so i suspect that the problem was coming from the speakers in the monitor or the 1/16" to 1/16" input jack that goes from the hard drive to the monitor, can the cord be the source of the problem?

Edited by unearth203, 16 July 2006 - 10:50 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It could, have you run the cord from the soundcard to the monitor instead of the external speakers

In sounds and audio, speaker settings, volume, is that set to high, also click advanced to check the speaker type, then performance to check those