Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW GAME IDEA

• Please log in to reply

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I would like to see a new MMORPG in the vein of Guild Wars only, like Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Ecks vs. Sever, you can join rival intelligence agencies. It would basically expand upon the concepts established in the Tom Clancy/Ubi-Soft Splinter Cell series. I really enjoy Guild Wars but when I'm not in the mood for fantasy, I like hi-tech espionage and combat games. To see something like F.E.A.R. done MMO co-op agency vs. agency would be sweet. Hope somebody out there runs with this.

I'll be watching for it.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
How would combat work? Also, would there be any story or would it just be a "run-n-gun" style mission system?

Also, what would missions be like? Would the combat be like CoH in terms of sorta turn based or would it be like a RTS combat system?

88MPH

88MPH

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I definitely agree with what you're saying about fantasy games; the market is just CLOGGED with them. I would love what you described, but set in the 1960s with a cold war backdrop. You could play as either CIA/MI6 or KGB. Missions in Prague, Kiev, maybe even at home in like Chicago or something. Maybe with some Bond-esque fictional gadgets, even.

mxdz

mxdz

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
well for the moment im sure you would enjoy playing "Gunz : The Duel" its a beta state international version hack n slash type of game but still a little of work with the guns , style etc , while waiting your MMORPG to get out , download it and enjoy it :whistling:

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
88MPH

The cold war setting is an excellent idea. It would limit the level of tech the game could implement but if the gameplay was there I doubt that would matter. I had originally thought the game would utilize faux agencies so that you would have the option of forming your own but maybe it would be better to use the world's existing government espionage divisions.

Black Pandemic

Take a look at the PvP/co-op modes in UbiSofts's Splinter Cell. UbiSoft uses a combination of fighting, first person shooting (sniper) and 3rd person combat. I'm thinking the game would be a FPS (with a possible option for 3rd person). I think the key would be the online interaction. Getting inducted into a guild in guild wars is not unlike inviting someone into a chat session. I see joining a particular agency requiring a bit more skill. You would have to go through (and pass) training. You would also have to complete a solo mission. Maybe like Le Femme Nikita you would have to "improvise" when you found out the window was bricked up.

I know a lot of work is being done with physics engines. I'd like to see interactive environments like those found in the Metal Gear series or F.E.A.R. or even Mercenaries. Unfortunately, I think the trade off for such lush gameplay might be a limit to the number of online players for fear of lag. Wouldn't life just be easier if EVERYONE had a FiOS connection. :whistling: I mean Guild Wars looks good and runs well for such a massive multiplayer but you still can't walk, jump or climb over whatever you wish. Nor is there much ability to move and handle objects around you.

I'm not a game designer/programmer so I don't know enough about what the limitations are. I just have ideas like millions of other tech-loving gamer geeks out there. And I know what I like.

Edited by PuffGussy36, 20 July 2006 - 02:58 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

I mean Guild Wars looks good and runs well for such a massive multiplayer but you still can't walk, jump or climb over whatever you wish. Nor is there much ability to move and handle objects around you.

I beg to differ. Each city is divided into at least 8 districts and there is nobody but your party in the combat zones (one of the things I HATE about Guild Wars).

I like combat and cities like in WoW. Lots of people in the cities, but when you leave, you'll still see a player or two along your travels, instead of traveling endless miles by your lonesome.

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I agree about GW and combat areas. I also don't like that you can communicate with people not in your district or city (what are we on cell phones here). But I didn't start this thread to discuss the pros and cons of guild wars. I only mention it because I am currently playing it and I think the parts of it that work well work well enough to carry over into my game idea. As for WoW, so long as there is a fee they'll never see me play it. SOE and Nsoft can do it for free, so can everybody else. We buy their software and expansions that should be enough. Even the basic version of 2nd Life is free. I would definitely want the espionage MMORPG to be free too.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I agree that a sort of first person MMO espionage shooter...thingy would be cool, but I"m just saying that GW wasn't the best example to put it up against :whistling:

I'd also rather have NCSoft do it because when I tried Planetside and Galaxies, SOE sucks at pretty much anything online. Their account system blows and their games are on a bad streak in my opinion.

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
My only online experience with Sony is using my PS2 playing Norrath. It's ok. I never felt playing it online was better than just playing the game. Not like with Ghost Recon. That game takes on a whole new dimension when the other members of your unit are controlled by real people.

It seems to me that many of the flaws in games today would be very obvious to the developers themselves. My best guess as to why they are left is that there is some sort of technical restriction. Maybe that's being too altruistic. Maybe it's simply a matter of games being rushed out to make a profit while a particular style/genre is hot.

I think at this point, if you want to be the next Halo, you have to come out with a game experience that is just so beyond what gamers expect it's like playing your first video game all over again. I believe the developers today can do it. Most developers ARE gamers. The hardware is there (super PCs, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3) now we just need some brilliant ideas and some brilliant execution. The video game industry seems to be in the same slump Hollywood is in.

Edited by PuffGussy36, 21 July 2006 - 02:54 PM.