Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete Restore

• Please log in to reply

SFarley

SFarley

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:whistling: Hello,

I have a Dell 2350 Dimension with Windows XP Home and I would like to completely
Restore my system to where it only has the programs it came with and wipe the hard drive clean.

I tried to do a system Restore with the Resource CD that came with it and it didn't recognize it. So I tried to manually retore it. It said that I didn't have a restore point.

I have added additonal ram so it does go faster than it did.I have already burnt my pictures to a cd. My games are on disks. My kids use the computer more than I do, but only as a means of accessing the internet.

I tried the Help & Support Tutorial that is downloaded, but I couldn't find anything that would help. I admit I am not very computer suavy.

I do have all the latest microsoft updates as of Tuesday, July 11th. I don't want to save them, I can download them again, no problem. I'm scrared if I try to do back ups on anything I will get confused.

The following are the CD's that came with the computer when I bought it:

1 - Tools System Software
1 - Roxio Easy CD Creator5.3.4 SP8 Basic
1 - Drivers/Utilities - for Reinstalling V.92 56K Telephony Data/Fax Modem
1 - Drivers/Utilities -Resource CD
1 - Windows XP Home Edition (including Service Pack 1)

Also would like to know which of the downloads noted below; I need and DO NOT need. I currently have all.

Norton Anti Virus 2006
Ewido
TrojanHunter
AdAware SE Personal

I know this is asking alot and I have looked through other pages on here to find what I need. But I must be missing something. I've read a lot of your forums and I like this site because you have given instructions that are easy to understand and interpret.

Thanks for your help and for making this site available.

Susan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, click my computer, how many drives are there, what are they called

SFarley

SFarley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Keith.

This is what I've got.

Hard Disk Drive: Local Disk C (Free space 28.8 GB, Total Size 37.2 GB)
Removalable Storage: 3 1/2 Floppy A
CD-RW Drive D

Thank you

:whistling: Susan

SFarley

SFarley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry I haven't gotten back on here, I've been out of town due to work and just got back last night. Anymore info I can use on how to clean my computer hard drive?

Thanks, Susan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the XP Home Edition CD a bronze one

If yes, you can repair it or re-install it

To repair it

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

To re-install it

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm