Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee Spamkiller Outlook Express Initial Scan takes ages!

• Please log in to reply

Jellycat

Jellycat

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi

I have installed McAfee security suite on a number of machines and have found that their Spamkiller component (V7.023) has an unfortunate habit of scanning all stored messages in seemingly all folders within OutLook Express - when Outlook Express is first launched.

E.g One of the PC's has approx 1200 messages sitting in various folders - therfore the initial scan can take approx 3 to 5 mins!

I know the obvious solution is not to store so many messages etc

I have the same program on my laptop running full Oulook (2003) - I get a few messages scanned on initial startup but no where near the amount above. ( I too have a fair amount in storage but use archiving)

Can anyone shed light on this annoying problem as I have asked mcAfee if it is possible to disable this initial scan (using Outlook Express) however I am finding it easier making contact with extra terestials rather than the noble McAfee support dept!

Many thanks
Patrick
St Andrews
Scotland

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
In your case I suspsect that it is the difference in how the mail applications process messages and more importantly message stores. The only advice we can offer is:
1)live with it
2)try using outlook (milage will vary, no guarrenty)
3)swith to another product like the one offered by cloud 9.

prior experiece shows that this application is buggy, resource heavy, and doesn't have very good support from mcafee.