Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone operate your PC from their PC?

• Please log in to reply

Rickybot

Rickybot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[size=3]

Okay here is the issue, I came home today and found a hotmail account open on my pc. It was open and signed in, and open to this persons inbox. I did not recognize this person, However I was upset due to the content. I found a picture of myself. Is it possible that someone is playing a sick joke on me? No one other than myself has a key to my house, and there are no open windows or doors. I remember however, that my cousin has stated in the past that he is able to turn another persons PC on or off directly from his pc by sending a certain command to their IP address. Could this be the same type of issue? Please someone help me, I need some answers.

Advertisements

Justinian

Justinian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
there is a program called "pc anywhere" that will operate a computer from a different location . both computers have to have it. My wife uses it to run a business computer in the night time from a different location. So yes, if that program is on it..there is a way and it may be a sick joke.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello Rickybot and welcome to geekstogo,
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

I stronly recommend that you immidiatly go there and get checked up and explain your problem there, you may have hacking issues on your computer.
James

Edit: He would have had to install "PC anywhere" on his computer as well for it to happen. In other words if he didn't install the other guy couldn't have gotten there in the first place.

Edited by james_8970, 14 July 2006 - 06:13 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Go into Admin Tools> Services and make sure your Remote Access services are shut off, since you don't use them.

Johanna

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I'd just like to add, I don't believe it's possible for hackers to power-up your PC remotely when it's not actually running. And certainly not possible if you unplug (or switch off) at the supply socket.

If you definitely remember switching yours off, only to discover it running when you return to it, a split-second blackout could do this if it's plugged in and swiched on at the plug. That happens to mine whenever a thunderstorm causes a brief power-cut and my PC is off.

So when your PC gets cleaned up, I should play safe and unplug it at the mains when not in use. I would also install a firewall such as ZoneAlarm. It won't allow incoming traffic without your permission, even if remote access is enabled.

Edited by pip22, 18 July 2006 - 04:20 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I'd just like to add, I don't believe it's possible for hackers to power-up your PC remotely when it's not actually running. And certainly not possible if you unplug (or switch off) at the supply socket.

this is possible but highly unlikely in this situation (research WOL or Wake On Lan for more info) it involves sending the "magic packet" (yes...that's actually what it's called) to the machine that you want to start up....but...to do it WOL has to be enabled in bios..and they have to know your mac address (i don't think that they have to be on the same subnet though...not sure)