Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW Drive can't "see" DVD's

• Please log in to reply

Coop88

Coop88

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Every so often my DVD drive refuses to play dvd's. These are just regular dvd's I rent from the videostore. I'll put in a DVD and the light on the drive comes on, then goes off. If I go to properties it shows me that the space on the disk is full. So I'll uninstall the drive, reboot, re-install the drivers over and over until it starts to work. Sometimes it won't start working until I put in a music CD, then remove it and insert a DVD. Why does this keep happening? It's so irritating...

BenQ DVD DD DW1625 (lightscribe)
Abit KV7-V
Windows XP sp2
Nero 6 (came with dvd drive)

Edited by Coop88, 14 July 2006 - 05:47 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most likely it is small scratches on the DVD that is causing the problem. Rental DVDs always seem to be badly mistreated. I have a polishing cloth i use to clean the DVD with strokes that are vertical to get my NEC DVD-RW to see the disk. i just pull the cloth from the center straight out.

SRX660

Coop88

Coop88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the response. At the moment my drive will not play ANY DVD's. I'm currently trying to get a successfull download from Nero to come through. It seems Qwest can't handle the traffic of it's customers.

Coop88

Coop88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, I've updated Nero and this thing still won't play any DVD's. It acts just like a regular CD Rom drive. I can play music CD's and run my Maximum PC cd, but it refuses to play a DVD. At this point I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. Anybody have any suggestions before I go out and buy another drive?

Coop88

Coop88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just for fun, I tried system restore to go back to a point when the drive would play a DVD. Nothing. This makes no sense.