Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Site Consistency

• Please log in to reply

grimlen

grimlen

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi i am working on learning web site creation, and i am having trouble figuring out how to keep the site looking the same and not having to make a bunch of changes. IE. I add a link i have to add it to every page instead of just a header section or something like that. I have tried using frames but my content for the pages is too large and each frame has to be scrolled rather that showing up fully together. PLease help! Thanks

Advertisements

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
Hi there,
this is what i understood: "you have many pages and want to change the header without changing it for every page"- is this correct? Please tell me more clearly what the problem is

grimlen

grimlen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I want to make a header that is site wide, so that when i make 1 simple change it changes it to all pages. That is my first problem, I believe that it is a template that i need to create, but :whistling: <<< is me.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
you can use php to do this. instead of having the whole header in your page, you'd just add a php include line, that way when the page is loaded in the browser it automatically includes the header, which u would save in a seperate file (such as header.html). however, you need to change the file extenstions to .php. here are the steps:
1)put your header in a seperate file (e.g. header.html)
2)change file extentions to ".php"
3)replace the entire header code in each individual page with:
<?php include("header.php"); ?>
that's it. i use this method as well, since i regularly change the header. this way if you want to change the header, instead of accessing and editing every single page of your site, you just edit the header.html.
for this to work you have to have php installed and working on your webhost (all paid hosts do). :whistling:
if you have any problems, please tell us!

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
one trick I use and while this isn't the most loading efficient method, is I create an html/htm/dhtml/php template for each page, with CSS so things won't resize on me across pages

grimlen

grimlen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
thanks ill give that a try i have never used php, but i guess its time to start learning.