Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message

• Please log in to reply

computernewbie

computernewbie

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi, I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP on it and a new error has come up a couple of days ago. When I click on a shortcut on my desktop,control panel,start menu, etc. it says "The application failed to intialize properly (0xc0150004) Click OK to terminate the application." Then I restart my computer and it works fine...then I come back in a couple of minutes/hours and it does the same thing!!! I don't think it is critical, but it is VERY annoying....

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi computernewbie...

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and look for clc.exe...is it there?

wannabe1

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I go to My Computer, Local Drive(C:) then I click WINDOWS and it's like nothing is there....I don't know if this would have affected it, but I installed and ran Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy today and it removed about 130 something "errors" . That was the combined total of both the programs detected and removed errors....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you navigate to the C:, look on the left side of the window...there should be a link that says "Show the contents of this folder". Click on that and you should be able to see what's in there. You may have to do the same thing with the Windows folder.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
It gives me the option to "hide the contents of the folder" but it doesn't show any contents......I'll have to pick up this topic tommorrow....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type system32 and click "Ok". Does this open the system 32 folder?

Edited by wannabe1, 14 July 2006 - 09:53 PM.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
If I go through My computer to try to get to system32, I only get to WINDOWS, then when I click it Search pops up with the little puppy that finds things......same thing happens with run, I type in system32 and little puppy pops up...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's look at a couple of registry settings,

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok".

In the left pane of Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then Directory, and click on Shell.

In the right pane, what is the value shown for (Default) under the Data column?

Then expand Drive and click on shell. Again, what is the value for (Default) under the Data column?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I type in regedit and it says Windows cannot find it....I browse through and find regedit and click it and now run says" C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe and it now says the application failed to intialize properly...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type explorer.exe and click "Ok". Does Explorer open?

Advertisements

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Yes, It brings up My Documents with a sidebar that lets you access all folders on the computer.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! That's Windows Explorer...we can use that to get where we need to be. Expand (click +) each of the following:
  • My computer
  • Local Disk C:
  • Windows
  • System32
In the System32 folder, locate and right click on "regedt32.exe" (regedt32) and choose "Open". This should open the Registry Editor...does it open? If it does, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then Directory, and click on Shell.

In the right pane, what is the value shown for (Default) under the Data column?

Then expand Drive and click on shell. Again, what is the value for (Default) under the Data column?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
the first value which was in directory, then shell was blank, nothing was there.
The second in drive, then shell said "none"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry, computernewbie...a wind storm knocked the power out for a few hours... :whistling:

Go back to Drive and click on shell. Double click on (Default) and type none in the Value Data field. Click "Ok".

Try your programs and see if they will open normally. We may have a few more keys to adjust.

Edited by wannabe1, 15 July 2006 - 09:09 PM.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
nope,....that didn't seem to work...